Very Spluttery & Not Very Smooth Idle Help Please :(

stushine

as above, just had the 1st go on my new sherco, it seemed abit spluttery and power sometimes wasnt thre when opening the throttle, then a sec later the power would kick in, when idleing it was about sputtery and acting as if it was going to stall..

ive just took the carb off to have a look, and i think there was a bit of water in the bowl... does the water sink in petrol or sit on top?

would a bit of water cause these symtoms?

im going round to my parents house soon to use my dads airline to clean it all out... but wasnt sure if i should maybe be looking at something else whilst the carbs off?

video added

Edited by stushine

water sinks to bottom of float bowl.water is only a problem when revving out on main jet as it wont pass through main jet which sits lower in bowl. i would say that bit of tinkering with air screw is best bet.try turning in while counting turns till it stops dont force it.it should be about one and a half.try up to 2 and a bit. if any one says play with float hights dont go there,as bike cannot suddenly adjust itself.

water sinks to bottom of float bowl.water is only a problem when revving out on main jet as it wont pass through main jet which sits lower in bowl. i would say that bit of tinkering with air screw is best bet.try turning in while counting turns till it stops dont force it.it should be about one and a half.try up to 2 and a bit. if any one says play with float hights dont go there,as bike cannot suddenly adjust itself.

air screw the biggish 1 with the spring behind?

air screw the biggish 1 with the spring behind?

No, that is the idle speed setting, the other up front is the mix adjuster. You would want to play with it it a bit to get your best running and throttle response.

Even 3.5 turns out is not neccessarily too far. As it IS a fuel screw, it can be somewhat sensitive, and once in range, changes of 1/8 to 1/4 turn make a difference. All settings done on a motor that is up to normal temps! :)

ive tried playing with it but it just makes it worse.

this is bugging me now, it seemed fine....

here is a quick vid of what its doing...

any one have any ideas, this is stretting me out :)

also ive just taken the spark plug out to see if its running lean or rich etc

my plug looks like the top one in this pic

dryandwet.jpg

Edited by stushine

Disclaimer******Do Not Do This*********

I am a mentally-ill, pyromaniac (so you cannot sue me if it all goes Pete Tong):

I would take all health and safety precautions:-

If I wanted to work out whether the fault was air-leakage or ignition related I would warm the bike up and use an unlit propane torch ,waved around the inlet area, to see if the revs picked up.

If my idle smoothed out it would indicate an air leak, if it didn't..?.. then an ignition problem.

P.S. I look permanently surprised now that I have burnt off my eyebrows. :)

P.P.S. Your lawn needs some weed and feed on it.

Edited by HAM2

changed the spark plug, and let it idle for about 10 mins, seems ok so far....

its abit intermitent tho, sometimes it does it some times it dosent..

a local shop thinks it might be the black box (coil?)

im not sure now, i will have to have a ride of it and see if it starts to do it again

if a prob gets worse when warm the something is expanding when hot and probably leaving a small air gap, does it run better if once it sounds like the you tube clip you let it have a little choke? if so find the airgap using oil smaered on all joints between the carb and engine to find your leak..

Watched the vid, bike def sounds as though running lean on the mix.

Although it is possible that there could be an air leak somewhere, start with the basics. Be sure your fuel tank vent is not pinched or restricted in any way.

If you suspect you had water in the bowl, dump the tank into a clean clear 2l vial to see what comes out the bottom that may re contaminate the carb.

Break the carb over the same vial to see what comes out!

Does your carb have vent tubes installed? Are they restricted?

All basic thoughts! :)