Nanny State.

jon v8

There must be thousands like that Andy :thumbup:

Wheres this nut allergy thing come from over the past few years?????? seems like nearly every other person has it or summit like it?? I can't remember anyone having these when I was at school??? has it just developed suddenly? It must have else you would have heard of millions of people keeling over in the past from eating nuts

I have to build some new kids play equiptment next week for a local play area, when I was pricing the job I noticed a big sign stating " No under 12's to play on any of the equiptment" now I recon the whole point of such facilities is to cater for the under 12,s mainly. When I asked why? got the H&S story, parents suing etc if little Jonny hurts himself :) , now I can remember me and one of my mates at about 10 years old having great fun on a huge steel climbing frame (concrete floor underneath) hanging off the top bars kicking the **** out of each other to see who would fall off first. One well timed and deadly accurate kick to the B*****ks had me mate cartwheeling down to the floor busting his arm in two places :o and I don't remember his Dad rushing off to claims direct after the incident? I had a swift clip though for my troubles and felt I'd earnt that

Edited by The Addict

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I love my country. I am not too pleased with the direction of Politically Correct and Cover Your Ass that we are going in.

As far as the Litigation problems in the US it is a case of "Oh my god I was really stupid, But I can't admit that. so it must be somebody elses fault for not looking out for me. or making sure I was not a dumb ****"

Hardly anybody wants to take responsibility for their own actions. Lawyers were greedy wanting more business, advertise how the "common man" could profit from how the laws are written, Law suits ensue.

It is winter time, if you do not clear your front walk and somebody slips on the snow or ice and gets hurt, they can sue you and win.

Well Holy **** it is winter time, Where The **** do you think the snow and ice comes from??? Pay attention where you are walking you dumb *******!!!!

And the parents of School age Children are making it worse by teaching their kids that it is the responsibility of "everyone else" to make the world safe for them. Better to teach the kids how to pay attention and recognize the hazards.

"Don't blame somebody else for your own stupidity"

Man, I need to calm down.

I too use Chain saws, and various pieces of equipment. Hell, I ride motorcycles, in some circles I am considered a lunatic just for that.

I am not saying I have never gotten injured or made a mistake........but every time that it was my own stupidity or choice of action that caused it I have admitted that it was my responsibility. And believe it or not sometimes it is just an unfortunate unforeseen event that happens, call it fate or just an accident. There is not always going to be one person to point the finger at.

Sure glad I proof read my post, I can't bypass the swear filter and all you would've seen was a lot of *********

Edited by ZIPPY

There must be thousands like that Andy :)

Wheres this nut allergy thing come from over the past few years?????? seems like nearly every other person has it or summit like it?? I can't remember anyone having these when I was at school??? has it just developed suddenly? It must have else you would have heard of millions of people keeling over in the past from eating nuts

I have to build some new kids play equiptment next week for a local play area, when I was pricing the job I noticed a big sign stating " No under 12's to play on any of the equiptment" now I recon the whole point of such facilities is to cater for the under 12,s mainly. When I asked why? got the H&S story, parents suing etc if little Jonny hurts himself :o , now I can remember me and one of my mates at about 10 years old having great fun on a huge steel climbing frame (concrete floor underneath) hanging off the top bars kicking the **** out of each other to see who would fall off first. One well timed and deadly accurate kick to the B*****ks had me mate cartwheeling down to the floor busting his arm in two places :o and I don't remember his Dad rushing off to claims direct after the incident? I had a swift clip though for my troubles and felt I'd earnt that

I figured You for a nasty little ****!! Too!:thumbup:

I too use Chain saws, and various pieces of equipment. Hell, I ride motorcycles, in some circles I am considered a lunatic just for that.

Soo, tell us how you FEEL about the use of these chain saws, Zippy? Do you often use these tools and other implements of destruction to get that MACHO feeling? Lots of power in your hands there!

Do you sometimes get the urge to wack down something whit it, unneccessarily?

Does the wife run in the other direction when you pull out the tools?

Have some of these tools spent as much time on the dining room table as the Sherco motor?

Do you call out the kids for a "watch this" session?

:thumbup:

The clock does go wonky from time to time. It's because of the way it updates itself (or doesn't as the case may be). It was out by a couple of hours so I updated it manually, but it didn't like that.

As for Copey's response, as much as I love going to the US, think it's a fantastic country and everybody I have met there has been fantastic as individuals (yup, even Copey!), we have them to blame for the mess we are in. The whole "compensation culture" thing came from the USA. Sue for everything. Where there is blame there is a claim. I was in Vegas a few months ago and had a few days to kill before the conference I was attending started. Watching TV in the hotel room, every second ad was for compensation lawyers. Sue for this, sue for that. That spread to here and now we're screwed. you can't even fart without fear of being sued for it. That is where all the health and safety and nanny state B*****ks have stemmed from. US lawyers looking to make a killing and US people looking to make a fast buck - mostly through their own stupidity.

We have a confirmed case of a US woman suing the manufacturer of a microwave oven after she put her dog in it to dry it out because it was wet and the dog died. Her basis for suing was because the microwave didn't carry a warning that she shouldn't put her dog in it. We have confirmed cases of US people suing fast food companies because they got scalded by coffee or tea that they bought from those fast food companies. That is why if you now buy a coffee it says "Caution, contents may be hot" on the cup. Well - DOH! If you aren't intelligent enough to realise that then you're too stupid to buy a hot drink as far as I'm concerned and should stick to cold pureed food in the home for the "too stupid to drink hot drinks"

It's the compensation culture that has led to the Health and Safety B*****ks we now have, and subsequently the Nanny State. Everybody is terrified of being sued so take things to the ultimate extreme. It sucks.

I am like the Andy, cannot even get started in this stupidity! The McDonalds coffee that scalded the clitorus was the taker! Won millions as I recall!

Claimed disfigurement! Doubt I would have wanted to be on that jury! Have not seen one yet that was all that! Probably just became more wrinkled over the time ! Ha!

Best defense against getting sued is to not be worth the trouble! You could sue me for bad advice, but you you won't get much!

BTW, stay out of small cars! If I do hit you, you will probably die! Do your own risk accessment! :thumbup:

As far as the Litigation problems in the US it is a case of "Oh my god I was really stupid, But I can't admit that. so it must be somebody elses fault for not looking out for me. or making sure I was not a dumb ****"

Yeah 'cause admitting you were a right tosser infringes on your dignity as a human being. :thumbup:

Went to a lecture today about the new, experimental fusion reactor they're building in France. The guy who gave the lecture said that they need approval for some of the materials they intend to use in it. HELLO? It's experimental. How do you get approval for an unknown material for an unknown process? Chicken and egg springs to mind.

These fornicating bureaucrats are going to send us back to the stone age.

Edited by TooFastTim

Yeah 'cause admitting you were a right tosser infringes on your dignity as a human being. :thumbup:

Went to a lecture today about the new, experimental fusion reactor they're building in France. The guy who gave the lecture said that they need approval for some of the materials they intend to use in it. HELLO? It's experimental. How do you get approval for an unknown material for an unknown process? Chicken and egg springs to mind.

These fornicating bureaucrats are going to send us back to the stone age.

All of that reminds me of our own club rules that EVERYONE must wear an APPROVED helmet at all times when riding or minding.

In the old days the riders mostly wore a (cock) hat or nothing!

The chances of you taking a fall and hitting your noggin were quite small!

If you wor a helmet, the chances of getting your ass kicked for being a puss was quite large!(100%) :)

As for Copey's response, as much as I love going to the US, think it's a fantastic country and everybody I have met there has been fantastic as individuals (yup, even Copey!), we have them to blame for the mess we are in. The whole "compensation culture" thing came from the USA. Sue for everything. Where there is blame there is a claim.

It's the compensation culture that has led to the Health and Safety B*****ks we now have, and subsequently the Nanny State. Everybody is terrified of being sued so take things to the ultimate extreme. It sucks.

Agreed, in America, my hire car had written on it's battery: 'DO NOT DRINK THE CONTENTS OF THIS BATTERY'!!! I'm not joking.

The largest category in the US version of yellow pages is for injury/claim lawyers.

My relatives own a motel in Florida (not a classy joint...the sort where you hire a room by the hour :thumbup: ) and they had to spend $1000's to fight a claim against them for 'insubstantial fittings??' before it went to court:

Two regulars had an argument , one of them slammed a door in the others face then pulled out a gun and shot the other guy through the door.

The lawyer, for the guy who got shot, sued for 'insubstantial fittings' as he thought his client wouldn't have received such bad injuries if the door had been thicker??!!!

On the flip side of this argument I can see why insurance companies want all this risk assessment /H+S bull****, I work for an appliance repair company and I have seen 1st hand the damage that a small percentage of the population can do when they carry out there own repairs... badly!

Some people need protecting from themselves and before all these H+S rules these people would have failed Darwinian natural selection so wouldn't be around to trouble us.

Like the guy who blew his own teeth out,using them to bare back the insulation on his washing machine wiring....yes, you guessed it..while it was still plugged in.

One of the blessings of being stupid is that you don't know you're stupid...... until something goes wrong,then (these days)you look around for someone else to blame.

My boss was recently in court (nothing to do directly with our business! honest!) as an expert witness to give his opinion in a case ...'but that's another story' as Hammy Hamster used to say.

One of the blessings of being stupid is that you don't know you're stupid...... until something goes wrong

I've found that the more stupid people are, the more intellegent they "think" they are.

Politicians spring to mind.