Cota 247 Slipping Kickstart

persil36

Hi there! I have recently completed a rebuild of a 1972 247 Cota. The bike is now running well and I even managed to resurrect my worn out Amal carb by replacing just about everything!! The only problem I have now, is that occasionally the kickstart slips when kicking the bike over. The engine was in good running condition when I got the bike, so apart from the top end, it has not been stripped. Before I start stripping the engine, I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on what causes this and the cure.

A couple of thoughts, in order of probability.

1. Kinked or misadjusted clutch cable that holds the clutch in a partially disengaged position.

2. Worn clutch plates. Depending upon where the piston is on compression, when kick starting, the clutch may slip

3. Worn, broken, missing ratchet teeth on the kick start ratchet gear.

Check 1 and 2 first, as number 3 requires splitting the cases.

I really would not worry about it. I have a couple of 247's which are a couple of years older than yours and they also have the same problem. Both bikes were fully rebuilt (cases split etc etc ) Everything was fine inside. One thing I do however is try not to continue kicking over fast if they don't start after 3 or 4 kicks. The kick starter slipping problem is common with old Montesas. See ya