Considering A Twinshock

sir dabs alot

I've owned a few TL125's and came to the conclusion that riding, fixing and prep'ing something else was easier (see article). You can spend a lot of money (a grand for a frame anyone?), but as mentioned on another thread on TC, people like Geoff Muston's have their's well sorted (and allegedly it still a 125) (pictures of Geoff in action at the 2008 Download, when it didn't rain)

Having seen Mark Evan's KT250 reliably get round lots of Sammy Miller rounds over the last 3-4 years its been really reliable and a good 'clubman' bike, last seen at the Classic Experts. Spares for any twinshock bike (however exotic) can be found, as Woody says, and I even managed to source all the engine spares and more for myBeta TR240.

Go for something different, and avoid the hordes on Honda TLRxxx's and Yam's and Majesty's. Garelli twinshock anyone ?

Get the TL125 ... If for nothing else just to give it a good trials home , And I'd bet you can always find someone that has never tried trials and that makes a great intro bike ! (and we don't want to see it get customized into a motocrosser by someone that knows no better ...)

With a little work and practice on it you can get a tl125 anywhere you want to go . You just have to plan way ahead .!

Glenn

When talking about a TL 125, an expression a friend of mine uses from time to time springs to mind !!!!

" You can polish a turd all you like but it will always be a turd.........."

Sorry to be disparaging about a trials bike ,but harsh , but fair... I think.

P.s And yes it was my first ever trials bike and remember it welll..............best

Have a friend who is a good Intermediate Rider (on most any bike). He bought a TL125 (because it was available at a good price). We rode a trial about 2 months ago and he could not get up the Novice hills or over the small logs. He is about 5'8" and 175#. I'm sorry they just don't have any power .....and any they do have comes on verrrrry slowly.

Alan

Have a friend who is a good Intermediate Rider (on most any bike). He bought a TL125 (because it was available at a good price). We rode a trial about 2 months ago and he could not get up the Novice hills or over the small logs. He is about 5'8" and 175#. I'm sorry they just don't have any power .....and any they do have comes on verrrrry slowly.

Alan

Great bike for fun riding, not a trails bike as standard.

Had one and loved it, struggled with my 180lbs, several decades on the power is unlikely to have increased !

• 2 weeks later...

OK......so back to the OP.... I would look for a TY175 if you are smaller or a TY250 if you are bigger. The 175 is hard to find but works great and is a lot lighter. The ease of getting parts is a primary consideration if you are in the USA. The KTs are hard to get parts for and the aftermarket system is not good on them. They all will work if you know what to do with them.

SO what do I ride?................ A KT250.

Any other advise on making the TL-125 run better?

Yep,just learn how to make the most of 8bhp,if thats all you have use it to the max, you have a clutch - slip it.There is a certain Mr Vining who is well known in west country classic trials,he does very well on an extremely well used TL125 that he enters as a 150.He is an average sized bloke,he just rides it well - nothing else.

I can remember being 12 years old and seeing a row of 4 brand new TL125's outside a dealers in North Wales - I would have chewed my arm off for one of those.I also remember Bike magazine testing one in about 1978 along with a KT250 and a 350 Bult.They had a bit of help as they were road testers,but nowhere along the line did they critcise the TL for lack of power,actually the soft engine was favoured for being forgiving - unlike the TLR250 I bought new in 1986.

hey,

i have seen this bike last year in Aywaille (Belgium) and it was so quick i could'nt keep up on my tlr 250 so there must be some power in the bike

it nearly won the expert class pre 78 so it must be a very good bike and a good rider

regards bob

I've owned a few TL125's and came to the conclusion that riding, fixing and prep'ing something else was easier (see article). You can spend a lot of money (a grand for a frame anyone?), but as mentioned on another thread on TC, people like Geoff Muston's have their's well sorted (and allegedly it still a 125) (pictures of Geoff in action at the 2008 Download, when it didn't rain)

Having seen Mark Evan's KT250 reliably get round lots of Sammy Miller rounds over the last 3-4 years its been really reliable and a good 'clubman' bike, last seen at the Classic Experts. Spares for any twinshock bike (however exotic) can be found, as Woody says, and I even managed to source all the engine spares and more for myBeta TR240.

Go for something different, and avoid the hordes on Honda TLRxxx's and Yam's and Majesty's. Garelli twinshock anyone ?

• 3 months later...