Help! '96 Not-so-easy 250

simonwade

Hi, site noob so hello to all.

Got me an ebay bike and having problems;

1. The front brake refuses to bleed up, the front brake was poor to start with but I've actually made it worse. The master cylinder doesn't seem to be moving any fluid at all in my bleeding tube. There was a good lever to start with so I assume the cyl is ok but a routine strip has left me with no lever at all... who are ajp anyway? don't get em on 'blades..

2. The clutch is useless, It gets better when the engine is warm but you still can't paddle backwards as it's dragging. I've heard that clutches on trials bikes stick until the thing's warm, (true??) but even then it doesn't seem to be 100%. Can't get much joy bleeding that either.

Is there a knack to these things or something obvious I'm missing maybe?

This is , I hope, a common question regularly posed by folks new to all this and therefore easily answered.

If anyone could spare a few minutes to put me out of my misery I would be very gratefull

Cheers, Simon

Hello there.

I presume you have my old bike. The front brake was never very good, but there was nothing wrong with the clutch, I could balance it in any gear without the bike moving.....as for going backwards, well thats what neutral is for.....and old age...

Check the adjusters on the levers, they may have moved. I dont know what youve done regards bleeding but this can be painstaking, as you will see if you read some of the posts on here.

Im not sure if the bike has banjo type or nipple type, but the banjo type can be awful.

let me know how you get on.

hi take the master cylinder top off and then try using a seringe and force fluid back through the bleed nipple to the master clyinder to get the air out.some times its the only way the feckers will bleed up,, try the same with clutch, also make sure you have freeplay in the levers to master clyinders as if you haven't they cannot draw fluid back in once you have depressed lever

good luck they can be a pain

Thanks guys, hey houseape, yes it's the same guy. You're right bout the clutch being ok to hold still on but I couldn't paddle back or get neutral with the engine running so was struggling with positioning, suppose i should only be going forwards though... it'll come. I've got the day off today so will be trying some stuff i read on this site regarding mirrors, wet n dry and the clutch plates. I moved the lever adjusters to suit my span so probably f'd up a bit there. will reset and try bleeding again. the fittings are a nipple at the top and a banjo on the calliper . I replaced the banjo bolt with one that has a bleed nipple in it as i couldn't see any other way of getting air/old fluid out the system. To be fair the bike was fine to ride but everything i get comes to bits after a bit so i can go through it all and clean, paint, fix etc as req.

ta redbull, syringe in the shed so def try that in a bit.