4rt

the addict

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine does that - when you find out what it is let me know

Think it might be the wiring going to the coil - seems corrosion sets in on the older bikes - mines 2005. I soldered the spades onto the wires Sat and mine seemed better today. I have asked Munch to supply me a new loom which seems to be the fix - not silly money evidently. Big John gave me some info and reading past posts I think Sunt had issues with his.

Thanks Jimmy, I'm calling Mick tomorrow as well so will ask him about that, mines had a fair bit of use so could be, didnt cause any problams today but is on your mind when winding up for something big. Let me know if you sort yours with a new loom. Might disconnect the kill switch next weekend as well and see if theres a change.

Thanks

Just

Edited by The Addict

David's 2007 4RT went through a period of stalling in a section and then simply cutting out when being ridden on a track not fully stopping but as if someone was pressing the kill switch. We changed the kill switch and checked out the wiring to the kill switch, disconnected it etc and it still cut out!

...very infuriating!

Then the wiring loom was changed and right away, no more cutting out!

Yes, John Sunter did have similar problems and a wiring loom change cured his bikes' problem too.

The culprit sems to be the coil wires which are fairly exposed to crud and after a couple of seasons regular use, they seem to corrode, that creates a resistance in the power supply and even turning the handle bars gives the impression that the kill switch is operating itself.

The bike would restart immediately after a "stall".

That '07 bike was sold to a friend of the family and it starts and runs as sweet as a nut even after a really wet SSDT!

Big John

your not trying to tell me the most reliable well built high tec trials machine in the world still isnt fixed are you ?

:gay::thumbup:

its a chew on when any bike plays up really

good luck Justin

Thanks Glenn, trouble is it runs perfect for too long then plays up? if it was just broke down I could swap parts till it runs but its not like that at all. Will bang a new loom on this week if theres one about and rectifier

New loom arrived today (thanks Munch) stick the **** on tomorrow along with a new plug and see what happens? if no joy will have to let someone sort it who knows what they're doing instead of my guesses

ah and new clutch and headstock bearings :ph34r:

Edited by The Addict

I reckon if you change the throttle body it will sort it :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::moon::ph34r:

:ph34r: I'll have a go at that mate :ph34r:

Right then, interesting morning in the shed with Gerts,

Banged the new loom on (or rather Rod did it for me) bike fired up fine as always and still did its dying and picking up again every minute or so. Bit gutted to be honest as I was hoping a new loom would cure it of that, did notice though the bike sounded more grunty and throttle response was better? anyway Rod said why don't we stick another throttle body on whilst he was there to eliminate that part of the bike. Swapped it over and fired her up....................................................no dying of the revs at all?????????????? ran like it had never run before to be honest, didnt miss a beat at all, few rides arouind the garden and bike seems perfect. Still have to run it hard on Sunday to see if the coughing/stalling problem has been solved but things are actually looking up now :ph34r:

Stuck a new Mitani clutch in as well and you forget how good a new clutch is till you get one :ph34r:

Edited by The Addict