What Happend To Villiers ?

jon v8

True but the Motorplat system was available early 70's as were systems from Japan and as Boyer had also developed electronic systems then would it really have been beyond them if they had put their mind to it?

Of course we will never know.

Villiers suffered the same fate as the rest of the British motor cycle industry being led by an ostritch and an overdose of apathy.

:P:)

Hi OTF

Yes, your probably right.

But wasn't the Moto-plat a points driven system?

Wasn,t the Boyer a DC system with conventional generator and rectifier, capacitor etc etc.

Yes, I know, there's always ways and means.

But what was the point in Villiers developing their trials engine having just lost all their major

customers and when the marketing and sales of the Spanish bikes was so strong.

As you say, we shall never know.

Just an interesting talking point, nevertheless.

Regards

Sparks2

I think OTF has hit the nail,it would seem a lack of direction by lots of companies in the 60/70's led to us losing a massive chunk of our industry - and not just the trials bikes we are talking about here.There is nothing wrong with a points based flywheel mag and points set up if its well made - my TY Yams run beautifully on points,I dont think its worth the money to go electronic with them.

Just seems the same old story,the English way of skilled people with top ideas either never getting the chance to prove them or being enticed abroad to do their thing.Not that I have any problem with foreign bikes except BMW's ! I find it a fascinating subject to read and wonder if........