Lazy Starter

chipsngravy

Hi,

im new to TC and was wanting to borrow wisdom.

I got my self a bike after 12 years away and so am a little rusty,

I've got a 2001 315 cota that does not like to get going (started) when cold, but as soon it's fired once it'll start next kick, and then run like a dream. The issue is it takes about 10 mins of kicking over on a good day to achieve this. I've replaced the sparkplug, new air filter as old was battered, cleaned carb and am now still dreading next time i have to get it going.

The spark looks weak to me, but then i haven't done this for 12 years,

any tips or ideas would be greatly received.

Thank you

Will :huh:

Ignition is unlikely to be your problem. If you had a weak ignition, it would not improve even after the bike warms up. But you say the bike starts fine after it's warm, so I would not put ignition at the top of the suspect list. However, there is a modification that people sometimes do to the 315 crankshaft position sensor to change ignition advance, so it might be worthwhile checking if previous owner got it completely out of whack. Again, not top priority IMHO.

The most likely suspect is the starter circuit in your carb (aka choke). Did you take it apart and clean it? Did you get all air passages clean too? And both halves of the pilot jet? What jets do you have in there, and what is your air screw set at?

My 315 starts on the 2-nd kick with choke when cold, so your problem is not typical.

+1 on the bikes usually being spot on starting. Mine's also 2nd kick whenever, choke on to start then straight back off again.

I agree its most likely to be the carb.

A cheap thing to try would be a new plug cap if still no joy.

If still not starting you'll need a multimeter and start checking the resistances of the coil and stator and such.

It's common after four or five years on a set of rings for the wear to cause hard starting. Since it's so gradual you may think the bike runs fine but a set of rings will help the starting and restore that crispness to the bottom of the rev range. I've had several Betas that after four years got a new set of rings and the difference in starting and power were tremendous.

I don't believe Montys are prone to the same stator probems as some other brands.

Edited by Dan Williams

Hi,

im new to TC and was wanting to borrow wisdom.

I got my self a bike after 12 years away and so am a little rusty,

I've got a 2001 315 cota that does not like to get going (started) when cold, but as soon it's fired once it'll start next kick, and then run like a dream. The issue is it takes about 10 mins of kicking over on a good day to achieve this. I've replaced the sparkplug, new air filter as old was battered, cleaned carb and am now still dreading next time i have to get it going.

The spark looks weak to me, but then i haven't done this for 12 years,

any tips or ideas would be greatly received.

Thank you

dude...all my bikes are a bit ruff starting in cold,..I live in canada ..say no more....worse after sitting for few weeks,

my trick is one to two kicks with choke on .....then go have a smoke, or have a beer, or go get a cuppa coffee, or go get your wife and.......oops

after 5-ten minutes the gas vapors in the head has greated a great atmosphere for starting ......always works!!......................massso

thanks for all the advice, will get on canceling out suspected issues, starting with a good carb clean with new spark plug lead.

I will put in a new set of rings also, as i don't have any previous info on the bike so i don't really know what it lacks in performance, but shouldn't do any harm.

Masso. most helpful, when i bought it i forgot to ask the trick to start it? ie with or without choke, how many kicks, throttle? but i'm learning!

cheers all

Do you shut your fuel off every time you stop riding? If not there's a very good chance you've got a slightly leaky float valve and your bike is fouling when it sits for several days. If you're not turning your fuel off then I'd wager a platinum plug that shutting it off solves the problem.

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Update so far:

Cleaned the carb out spotless all valves, needles, choke port. Also replaced the spark plug cap, spark looked all good,

put it all back together and kicked it over a few times then she went. i let it warm up then killed it, kicked it over and it started sweet as always when warm.

did this a couple of times over half hour, all good!

i then turned off fuel as usual, put it away and thought i'd won.

two days later went to start it, fuel on, choke on, a couple of kicks, left it for 2-3 mins then carried on trying with not even a fire up.????????

I'm now waiting on piston rings, see what happens with that?

Hi Chips

Sounds like we should get together. I have very simular problems with my 1999 315. See the post from acouple of days ago. I have not had a chance to clean the carb yet but will do this weekend. I would be interested to see if the rings make any difference as I, like you dont know what the bike was like when new. Hope we get it sorted.

Geoff

I agree with B40RT, namely that it sounds fuel-related. Good tip on tapping bowl in case of sticky float valve. Also try this: turn on fuel petcock and lean the bike on the left side at about 45 degrees. This should force more fuel into the bowl. Then stand her upright and give 'er a kick, try with and without choke.

BTW, you should measure compression before considering piston ring replacement. Just for reference, if memory serves me right (I don't have my service log nearby) mine was over 200 psi cold.

I agree with B40RT, namely that it sounds fuel-related. Good tip on tapping bowl in case of sticky float valve. Also try this: turn on fuel petcock and lean the bike on the left side at about 45 degrees. This should force more fuel into the bowl. Then stand her upright and give 'er a kick, try with and without choke.

BTW, you should measure compression before considering piston ring replacement. Just for reference, if memory serves me right (I don't have my service log nearby) mine was over 200 psi cold.

dude......put choke on......kick it twice.....come back in five minutes ..try again.....if this doesn;t work, try racing gas...works every time!

All sussed

new piston rings in, feels like new!

to be honest i don't belive that was the issue because i took the fuel tap off and the filter was wrapped up with shavings from the fuel tank cap and fluff. nice!

but i think my main reason was the fact i never pushed the choke up to vertical, what a tw@!

like i said, gotta lot to learn!

cheers for the help though gents!