Crankcase To Barrel Studs On Villiers Engine

old trials fanatic

I need to find out the thread and length of the studs that thread into the crankcase on the Villiers 9e, 32a, 37a etc

Want to get some new ones but i'm not sure of the thread in the crankcase, i think it's 5/16 Whit but i seem to remember the alloy barrel studs for a Greeves square barrel were also 5/16 Whit. However i have a pair of crankcases to be rebuilt into a spare engine that i feel sure are 5/16 W x 5/16 BSF which seems weird.

Can anybody help with the correct thread and length? :o

Edited by Old trials fanatic

If my memory serves me correctly, it is 5/16 Whit on the barrel sidea and 5/16 BSF or UNC into the crankcases. Nothing unusual about that as many castings have a coarser thread into the aluminium because fine threads can strip really easily in soft metals.

The 'Villiers Improvements Handbook' by Rob Carrick also recommends drilling and tapping the cases out to take Timserts (bit like helicoils but much better) and using M8x1.25 studs which give much more peace of mind on 40 year old components.

Thanks Charlie - Time-sert is the one! There is also Keensert which are very good but the outside thread maybe a bit to large to drill and tap the crankcase boss safely.

As for a supplier, try Clarendon Engineering at www.clarendoneng.co.uk . Dont expect them to be cheap!!!!

Ross

I havent got the data to hand but you should be able to find it on the web somewhere. The keenserts come in different grades - light, medium and heavy duty. The light series for most 5/16" threads has a 7/16" UNC thread (I think!)

Have a look at http://www.timesert.com/ and http://alcoafastener.thomasnet.com/categor...&bc=3001584

Of course, it may be simpler for everyone to phone Simon at Nametab and 'encourage' him to have some new crankcases cast up with all the modern updates already in place...

MM