Ty 125 Exhaust Gasket

squid

Hello.

Here we go again.

Right.

Im putting me refreshed exhaust back on. The gaskets the same diameter as the mouth of the exhaust pipe, so when I offer it up, trying to get the bolt through the support is not possible.

I've been jiggling and staring at it for about 10 minutes. Please, what am I doing wrong.

Cheers

Squid

The two studs should be in the head then just pop the nuts on when its in place,they do take a bit of jiggling to get in place . If the gasket does not stay in place then a little silicone sealant will stick it in and will give a good seal even on an old gasket.

Thanks for those replys Max and Andy T.

Do I have to tighten and squash the gasket, so the exhaust support bracket lines up with the frame mount. Sorry to go on, Iam totally ignorant of these things and just dont know how much force to use.

Yes, just do the bolts up so the bottom of the clamp touches the face of the barrel. You should have a couple of spring washers on the studs but I normally use a couple of 6mm Nyloc nuts and they don't normally melt ( the nylon bits inside).

I had the same questions on my TY175. Looking at the Haynes Manual, Page 86, Picture 37.8, and my cylinder exhaust port, I believe the factory gasket is inset into the cylinder. On my bike, it is compressed and appears flush with the surface where the exhaust header studs are. A PO smeared copper gasket maker all over the place and it was not leaking.

Therefore, I believe the proper fix (since I have a new gasket) would be to remove the compressed gasket, and install the new one. However, before my new gasket arrived, and I figured this out I had already made a thin copper gasket to go between the cylinder and exhaust. Seems to work fine, but I'll be ready to pull the old gasket and replace with new if I notice any leaks around the exhaust header.

Hello Amberlefty.

Your right. I didn't realise the gasket actually sits inside the mouth of the exhaust port until I got down on me back to have a look inside. I had a

fresh one to pop inside. Started the girl up this morning but I dont like the sound Iam getting from the cylinder head, sound a klackerty, if you know what I mean. I wanted to get a 175 head but not right now due to cash, but I guess it needs doing, fresh piston and all the gubbins.

Thanks for dropping a line.

Cheers

Squid.