More Crazy Ideas!

dan williams

Go for it. There is nothing saying an optical sensor wouldn't work, but it will be working mighty quickly with a 2T compared to a 4T.

The down side of having a eliptical output gear is that it would have to have a matching eliptical driven gear thus negating any benifit. if you could match an eliptical gear to a round gear then you'll get the benifit. Now if you could do that then you will be faced with varying gearbox speed rather than varying output torque/power.

How about a variable turbo pressure gate mated to rear traction!

Ralphy

Optical sensor with a grey code or similar would work for absolute positioning. I work on optical data interfaces that run at ~3GbS so I know optical can go pretty damn fast. optical tends to get dirty real fast in such an environment. The hall effect sensor would work. Works in multi-cylinder ignitions.

As long as the matching gear had the mating faces occurring at integer multiples it would work.

I love the "Arrrgg it won't work! You're wasting time." posts. Guys take this way too seriously. Sometimes you just have to float a concept and see where it goes. I could be wasting time in front of the TV with a beer and eating potato chips watching some mind-numbing spirit-crushing game show (as Renton says in Trainspotting).

I never said these were good ideas, just fun brain teasers.

Remember scientific tests have proven it's impossible for bumblebees to fly. Fortunately no one told the bees. I know I won't.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to butt-in, but I wonder why no-one has made a diesel engine trials bike.

The Honda radical combustion engine was kinda close. Nothing beats gasoline for energy density. 19,500 BTUs per gram baby and after all heat is what makes it go. Even nitro-methane has lower energy density. Top fuel dragsters make so much power with it because it's an oxygen bearing fuel that can be literally poured into an engine to make power by the boatload.

I'm not sure kicking a diesel is possible in the displacement you'd need for trials. Diesels are also plenty torquey but not real quick to spin up. Diesels can be setup for higher output but that usually involves turbo or supercharging them. They are simpler in theory but often more complicated in fact.

I've wondered if a turbine powered bike would be possible. Big hit, no problem. Just hit the afterburner. Takes care of leaves in the section too.

Optical sensor with a grey code or similar would work for absolute positioning

Why grey code? More (pre) processing grunt needed to convert to BCD.

I work on optical data interfaces that run at ~3GbS so I know optical can go pretty damn fast.

Whoop de doo! Now find a processor that can do the relevant maths at that rate (shuttup Slapshot!). Oh and it has to be robust and compact. No Hitachi super computers bolted to your bike.

Edited by TooFastTim

Top fuel dragsters make so much power with it because it's an oxygen bearing fuel that can be literally poured into an engine to make power by the boatload.

From personal experience, I can vouch that the fuel mileage is not so hot. At full chat they burn about 1.5 gallons per second. With a stochiometric of 1.7, even with only about 5,000 BTU/lb, you can run a ton of fuel of fuel into the cylinder, which is what makes the big power numbers. They are kinda rough on spark plugs, though, and you need to change all 16 of them after each run....:rolleyes:

I love crazy ideas, a major part of the reason I was attracted to motorcycles is that they are so fun to modify (and most all the parts are out in the open to see, not hid under a hood). It's rare one sees a truely "stock" off-road bike. Even if it's just a decal, we like to individualize.

Keep the "More Crazy Ideas" coming!

Jon

Whoop de doo! Now find a processor that can do the relevant maths at that rate (shuttup Slapshot!). Oh and it has to be robust and compact. No Hitachi super computers bolted to your bike.

What did I say........ could use our new one might do this better than figuring out North Atlantic Oscillation!!! Speeds currently approaching 0.75 Petaflops scheduled 1.125 Petaflops by 2011....buggered if it will fit in a Beta frame mind!!

Heh heh I geeked out at lunch today and made an ENIAC reference. My 20 something tech gave me a blank look. I had to explain computers built with tubes, big air conditioners and punch cards. The look didn't change and I got merciless amounts of abuse from my co-workers for geeking at lunch. Just what good friends do.

Friends don't let friends turn into poindexters.

Heh heh I geeked out at lunch today and made an ENIAC reference. My 20 something tech gave me a blank look. I had to explain computers built with tubes, big air conditioners and punch cards. The look didn't change and I got merciless amounts of abuse from my co-workers for geeking at lunch. Just what good friends do.

Friends don't let friends turn into poindexters.

Yipes! That brings back memories of running a keypunch machine to process the Fortran cards for my psychology experiments at college.

I was at San Jose State (the heart of Silicon Valley) and spent a lot of time in the huge "Computer Room", which housed one computer that

generated a large bunch of heat and probably had less computing power than a present day smart phone.......

ENIAC, it's been a long time since I heard that machine mentioned.

Jon

No wonder the US is so screwed up :rolleyes:

I came up with a solution to all this "power application" stuff many years ago. It was called a "clutch" and was totally independant of engine revs or crankshaft speed.

The non-stop riders would not use them, so the idea was trashed! ;)

Hey Dan here is something to work on. Chewy we need your help....

I have plenty of wild ideas about how to make things better. I like better and simpler - sometimes you cant get both together which is a shame.

The variable Turbo pressure at loss if traction thing is a bit complex. But fun.

Next is a Hydraulic drive. Remove the gear box and fit a hydraulic pump. For the rear hub fit a hydraulic motor with some spokes. The hydraulic fluid moves through a couple of tubes so there is no chain to get all messy. Now the complex bit - you will need to be able to get max revs at slow speeds as well as high speeds. Like we can now. So we'll need a variable pullie (as in a CV gear box) system to the change the input to the pump. Or something (nice vague ending there)

Then there is the air starter for the engine idea! Seal the swing arm so it will hold air. From the swing arm to the frame fit a small air cylinder. This pumps air into the swing arm through a non return valve. Riding the bike will keep it pressurised. The air is routed upto a small air motor which is mounted to the engine starter system. Fit a command push button on the bars. Now you have free auto-starts without a battery! Pump the swing arm up in the mornings to get going. Cool.

Ralphy

Next is a Hydraulic drive. Remove the gear box and fit a hydraulic pump. For the rear hub fit a hydraulic motor with some spokes. The hydraulic fluid moves through a couple of tubes so there is no chain to get all messy. Now the complex bit - you will need to be able to get max revs at slow speeds as well as high speeds. Like we can now. So we'll need a variable pullie (as in a CV gear box) system to the change the input to the pump. Or something (nice vague ending there)

Ralphy

I used to work for a hydraulics company....howsabout a swash plate pump with a very quick servo-control action....or have I gone all Isambard and suggested a sledgehammer to crack a nut??

Jeez this new driveline is gonna be heavy ! :rolleyes:

Then there is the air starter for the engine idea! Seal the swing arm so it will hold air. From the swing arm to the frame fit a small air cylinder. This pumps air into the swing arm through a non return valve. Riding the bike will keep it pressurised. The air is routed upto a small air motor which is mounted to the engine starter system. Fit a command push button on the bars. Now you have free auto-starts without a battery! Pump the swing arm up in the mornings to get going. Cool.

Ralphy

Interesting. We used to use the sealed swingarms in the dragbikes to hold pressure for the air-shifters, worked quite well.

I faintly remember one of the early street bikes with the 6V generators (early Honda?) using the generator as a starting motor,

then again, I may have stared at too many Fortran cards........

Jon