Number Plate For Road Registered Bike

stuessenhigh

HI everyone...

so..finally, I got round to tax the bike etc....So at last I can have a go at the Longmynd trial this year..(work permitting).

Anyway..does anyone have any advice which number plate to buy and from where.

I've noticed one dealer does one for about 15 pounds, that includes a rear mudguard thing that makes the mudguard wider. It looks bulky and heavy to me. I prefer the look of the Sherco one they sell but they say its not for GG.

SO...what do you all reckon?

And I guess after buying the yellow bit, I just have to go and find some sticky numbers to make my own plate??..would rather have a 'proper print' plate if its possible in a smallish size.

Edited by Andy

I've always used yellow tank tape stuck to the mudguard and black permanent marker for the number etc, never been stopped or quizzed about it. Did make a hang down type one for the Vic Brittain, bit of plastic covered with tank tape and hung onto mudguard with two cable ties :rolleyes:

Mmmmmm

Wonder what the legality would be for having your number plate on your rucksack / back of jacket ? Out of the way there and not much chance of it breaking?

I don't think I've ever seen a number plate at the Scottish that can be read anyway apart from the first hour of the day! Many a broken one strewn around the moors.

Daft idea? Been done before?

Anyhooz Stu, loads of companies do 'custom' plates, any size or shape you want. Just pick up any bike mag or visit fleabay. eg; Clicky Here

I got a plate for my trailer from my local garage not long ago - had to take driving licence, registration docs and a letter form my parents before I could get it though! A 'custom' or 'show' plate for off road use apparently doesn't require documentation? Go figure.

If memory serves me well a legal plate should measure no less the 7" x 5", don't see many that size at a trial so I reckon PC Plod must use some discretion? What about MOT's? Anyone had a problem?

EDIT 2 - Just found this if anyone's interested ? INFO

GJ :rolleyes:

Edited by gjbiker

Legal size vertically mounted just isn't going to happen on a trials bike... Best solutionI found is yellow butter tub cut into effectively 2 L sections.. then Glued or if you dont mnid riveted /bolted under rear mudguard...weigh nothing fold up if you roll back/crash. You can also have a spare ready to fit and you get 2 for nothing. I don't think theres been a legal number plate on a trials bike since the days of goolie catcher on front mudguard days.

Thanks for all the replies guys...think you've all been watching too much Blue Peter tho :rolleyes:

SO,..I need 3 old washing up liquid tubs, a tub of butter, some yellow tape, and of course some double sided sticky tape....right! ;)

Sorry..shouldnt take the mikky..since all your ideas are well meant of course.

Anyway...I'll let you know how I get on.

I think I'll probably buy the ready made one, and then just stick some numbers on. Sure it will break soonish, but there we go....money spent on the bike is money well spent eh!

Would rather have one that hangs down...(so to speak)...rather than one that points to the sky!!...oo-er..since I guess thats gonna atract more attention from PC plod...if he happens to be sneaking around the country lanes of outer skegness or wherever I may be.