Motor Kills It Self

nickolino

Hello, Since being a newbie to this I will try my best to use proper english. I just aquired my 1st Trials Bike a 97 250 Techno after reassembly and first run what I have is every thing is fine until the fan switches on then the engine shuts off as if you are hitting the kill switch. What should I do? Thanks

Hi there.

It sounds like someone has wired the fan through the stators lighting coil, either mistakenly or,

more likely, as they've known the fan coil is burnt out and the stator wants rewinding.

It sounds identical to bikes I've had come through.

Westcountry windings can test your stator and rewind as required.

Regards, Mike,

Gday, if it is wired through the Source coil there will be too much load for both ignition and fan. Aftermarket stators are available for the beta, and Im sure there will be many shops that could rewind the existing one for you in the states. The stator will fail eventually, so might as well get this done now and you should be trouble free in the future.

Cheers,

Stork

Hi, Thanks for the info. If what you say is true that the fan and Ignition are wired through the source coil then it makes sense. However Beta USA says there seperate. This bike is stock as far as I can tell. The wiring diagram matches what Beta USA gave me. Thanks.

Hi, Thanks for the info. If what you say is true that the fan and Ignition are wired through the source coil then it makes sense. However Beta USA says there seperate. This bike is stock as far as I can tell. The wiring diagram matches what Beta USA gave me. Thanks.

Well, as I do not have a schematic of your bike, I am at a loss. However I think that model may run the standard Ducati system which is powered by a single source coil(yellow wire) to power ignition and other stuff. If that is indeed the case, then a short to ground(earth) will indeed take the entire system down.

Now dependant upon exactly where the rectifier is tied into the system(squarish box) if after the thermo switch, a shorted unit OR a bad fan could cause this.

You could disconnect the rectifier, but the fan will not run without it. You can run the fan on 12V DC to test it independantly. I doubt the regulator would cause it(longish thing) unless it was regulating far too low, then being overwhelmed by demand, yey you can disconnect it to test things at idle as no overvoltage condition should be caused at that rpm.

Hope that helps. :chairfall:

Hi Im not familiar with beta wiring but if the ignition and fan share a common earth, make sure the earth point is claen and secure, take it off and clean it, In have had a problem with and eath on one of my bikes. Try it It wont cost you anything,

Good luck

TLTEL

• 4 weeks later...

Thankyou to all that helped. Just to update since its been a while. Sent the stator to steve at motoplat got it back hooked it up ran it tell it got hot the fan switched on then the motor shut off. Back to the drawing board. Thankyou