Sherco 290 06 No Spark

godzilla

I am struggling to find a spark on my 06 290 i have tried a new plug and looked at the kill switch bit there is nothing. Also is the lead replaceable on this bike IE screw on?

Edited by godzilla

I struggled with the same think on my '06 a couple of years ago and read the posts about new stator's etc. When I kicked the motor over, I could never see a spark at the plug. However, after a few evenings of dicking around, I realized it was sparking with the plug installed. Maybe I wasn't kicking it hard enough or the plug was not well grounded. My misfiring turned out to be a carb problem and not from a lack of spark. I have an old Bultaco (don't we all), and I can crank it with my hand and see a fat spark at the plug. Not so with the Sherco.

YMMV, but you might consider this before you dig any deeper.

i have had the carb off blown it out, airbox off and cleaned inside and out ect. I turned off the lights in the garage and kicked her over in the dark and got no spark what so ever..

out of intrest what was wrong with your carb mike?

These issues can be difficult. Was there any warning? Stators may go, but seems many report odd running. Not to say that any electricals can pack in anytime.

Do you have any mates that could assist in letting you try their coil/ign. unit?

Splatshop has some Ohm readings posted online that you could use to test things. Not quite sure the validity of any static readings though really.

As functunally they may not work still! :)

I had 1 lose spark during a trial last year, would come back when cold. Second day of the trial it quit completely & when I checked the next day still had no spark.

Testing with the ohm meter showed slight differences to the readings but not major ones, on reconnecting everything the spark returned along with a telltale arc to the fan motor from a tiny crack on the plug cap which I hadn't noticed before

Try a new plug cap as they're cheap then get hold of Chris at Splatshop if you still have no joy. He'll send you 1 quick enough for you to be going again by the weekend

My Notes on tested on my working stators (250 and 125).....

Testing the Trigger and Stator

Using the diode test on a multi meter to test the trigger

Blue no reading

brown 1601 ohms

black 1626 ohms

using the red lead and black on earth

Blue 725 ohms

brown 766 ohms

black 767 ohms

using the black lead and red on earth

I also tested the resistance's of the other wires

White to red 95.4 ohms

Red to green 549 ohms

green to white 637 ohms

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Testing and checking your Sherco stator plates, only applicable to the Lenoelli stators from 2002 to 2007.

To Test Sherco triggers, check mode on a multi meter, you should get reading something like this, don't worry about exact numbers if it is somewhere in the same region.

Using an Anolog meter the red lead to the plug terminals and black to earth.

Blue no reading

brown 1000 to 1600

black 1050 to 1650

Using the leads the other way around i.e. black lead to the coloured wires, red to earth.

Blue 600 to 730 ohms

brown 650 to 770 ohms

black 650 to 770 ohms

Using a Digital meter in Diode mode the red lead to the plug terminals and black to earth.

Blue no reading (sometimes shown as 1 or error)

Blue 0 (sometimes shown as 1 or error)

Brown 1018

Black 1100

Using the leads the other way around i.e. black lead to the coloured wires, red to earth.

Blue 635

Brown 661

Black 661

Also test the resistance's of the other coil wires, leads either way around.

White to red 95 ohms

Red to green 550 ohms

green to white 640 ohms

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://www.uk-motoplat.com/home.html

Hope these help.

Best of balance.

Neo

Edited by Neo

Thanks guys, i have TT5TH coming round later today with a multi meter so we will take a look at the readings. The plug and cap where the first things i changed, as for the running of the bike i only picked it up the other night, it started for a a little then died. it came from a friend who got an 09 bike an laid this one up.

I spoke to chris from the splat shop and he was very helpfull indeed. Im not worrying about the weekend as i have a mint 08 scorpa and a mint 315 :) the sherco is just a project.

I will keep you updated, later today.

Edited by godzilla