Mot Req?

marky g

Hi

took the Ossa for an MOT yesterday (want to do the Sammy Miller series) but got turned away because of a curver Sammy Miller number plate - rules changed last September apparently and only fully size reflective plates will pass.

No mention of a reflector being needed, though the trials freindly tester wasn't worried about no stoplight, but was insistent on a continuous tone horn -which I bought six months ago and now can't find...

Mick

I have also recently fallen foul of the new number plate rules. I now have a flat plastic one for the MOT that would last about 5 minuets in a trial and a curved one for actual use.

My bike is not fitted with a rear reflector. The tester checked the manual and was satisfied that a reflector on a bike with a day time only MOT was un-necessary. I read the manual myself and was left totally confused. But what is the point of this item during the day?

The bike type Speedo are more than satisfactory to satisfy the law. I understood that it was a requirement to have a speedo fitted but it was not checked during the test, but there seems to be some confusion on this.

I have just MOT

Have a read of the MOT regs - different things apply to different ages of bike. Once you have a reasonable understanding of what is required visit your friendly local MOT station and ask your friendly local MOT tester for advice. Follow his advise to the letter and you should be able to get a hastle free MOT .

As far as I remember

Pre 73 = Bulb Horn

Post 73 = Electric Horn

No lights required for daytime MOT

No lights = no brakelight

If you have lights you need a brakelight

No reflector required for daytime MOT

Numberplate should be legal - check with friendly MOT man first. I think up to 73 numberplate rules are different.

You need a chainguard & efficient silencer

As commented on before a speedo is not covered in the MOT - since the bike would have to be ridden to check it works is the explanation I was once given.