Silencer Packing

davet

Hi, i cant help with the performance issue but repacking the exhaust is relatively easy, there's a perforated pipe inside that is probably sooted and clogged up a rub with a wire brush would be needed for that, there's video's on you tube that shows how to do it, just when, you do it, wear a mask.I didn't as i'm a joiner and used to working with fiber's and so on everyday but after re doing mine i got a real sore throat, might be coincidence but worth getting one all the same

Cheers,

Steve

Here's a link to a good video on you tube

It's not specific to the gas gas but certainly points you in the right direction, i didn't use the steel wool around the perforated pipe as i don't think it's needs it ( i may be wrong but if i am perhaps someone else will confirm that ) one snag you will encounter though is the perforated pipe in the centre of the can is not straight it's S shaped slightly which makes rolling up the packing more tricky, to be honest i tried that method first and it wasn't working for me so i took time and chopped it up into smaller bits then just used a long narrow stick to push it in right to the bottom and worked my way up, push it in firm but don't ram it in till bursting point, i even poked it in around the end cap before lining the centre pipe up and pushing it home.

I see in that video he has a mask on defiantly worthwhile. Oh after packing my exhaust by using the smaller bits technique it sounds good and performs well, sounds exactly like my mates 2009 beta which still has the factory packing in it.

I would defiantly change the packing though because if yours is a 2003 like mine and in the same state as mine was, it was just oily gloop in there the packing was saturated,

I hope i've been of some help

Steve