Sheffield '05 - Impressed?

nokesy

Well I've stopped smoking these days because they've stopped advertising.

Boll*cks!!!

What does it matter that a cigarette company has a banner up? Do the non-smokers think, bloody hell I could do with a fag! Do they buggery.

The idea is to make that particular brand of cigarettes a prime choice when a smoker walks in to a tobacconist.

I'm a reformed smoker (fairly recent - the last 2 years with a little 2 month lapse in the middle). I can honestly say it was pretty damned hard to stop, but advertising wasn't something I was fighting.

If we're going to argue about the financial burden on the health service, the truth is, the government makes much more from tax on tobacco products than it spends on (potential) tobacco related disease.

And by the way, the 2 months I started again last year was nothing to do with advertising I saw at Sheffield last year, but they don't ban miserable women do they :)

That was a joke by the way, almost :)

If we as a nation weren't such dumb scaremongering Sun readers we wouldn't end up with a nanny state.

Doh! Andrex advert - got to go!

Edited by bikespace

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I was NOT impressed with was Octagon.

Firstly they sent out false information - i.e. Shaun Morris was riding. That was sent out only 2 days before the event. Having no information to the contrary, I ran the story thinking they were the official press body for the Indoor Championship as usual. Publishing wrong info makes me look stupid and I don't like that. Having realised they're no good some time ago, I've now arranged to get all my info from Crosser for the future.

Secondly, their press releases make Wonder Boy's posts look intelligible (every one has to be re-written from scratch in decent English).

And finally, the guy who wanders round the course saying "line, line" to the press with no official badge, no official press line marked so you don't know where you can or cannot stand and who gets in the way himself whilst serving no real purpose is a real pain in the a**e.

PS. The upside is the NVidia promotion team and Taddy's website have both contacted me for permission to use my photos - which I've granted for no charge :)

Should they also ban advertising cars, oil companies. airlines etc. due to the environmental damage that they cause to the planet. Which is far worse than the self inficted damage caused by the smoker and the damage of passive smoking. :)

Then ban advertising alcohol which is also bad for you. :)

Where do you stop?

If the money generated by the tax on tobacco out weighed the amount of money spent by the NHS on treating tobacco related heath problems do you think advertising of tobacco products would be banned?

This might help, though it translates word for word so you need to interpret the results a bit! www.poltran.com/

Andy - No link to TC on Taddy's site yet, so you might want a word...

I totally agree with the comments on the tobacco advertising.

I have good friends who play on the professional snooker circuit, and their sport has been crippled by the ban on tobacco advertising. The main tour previously hosted 128 players (and more in days gone by), and this has now been cut to 80. This gives the lower ranked, up and coming pros fewer chances to qualify for ranking events, and restricts their ability to earn money. There is now a subsiduary tour called the Challenge tour, and this is where the lower ranked players compete (for dramatically reduced prize money), and only the top couple can break into the main tour...the game is in danger of going bankrupt.

I am not, nor ever have been, a smoker, and yet I have watched motor sports, snooker, darts etc from being a wee boy, and I am still at a loss as to why the ban on tobacco advertising has been enforced. Surely, ploughing some of those vast profits back into sports, instead of lining the pockets of the few at the top of the tree, is beneficial to many - and clamping down on it generally benefits no-one in particular.

Another example of beaurocracy gone mad.

KB.