Tall Rider On Beta

gazzaecowarrior

Hi there

I'm six foot four and built like a racing snake. Bought some bar risers to help eleviate the problem. Raised the bars about 18mm. Since fitting them I have noticed that I am really struggling to keep the front end down on steep banks and hill climbs. I bought the risers as it helped feel more comfortable and especially nicer when dropping off banks etc. I am certain my front end prblem is to do with the risers as they must be making my body geometry lean back. My fork legs (excluding fork caps) sit about 2mm proud of the top yoke. Should I drop the forks in the yoke more to compensate for the risers or not bother ? If I keep flipping the bike I'm going to take the risers off. Your ideas would be most welcome.

• 4 weeks later...

Keep with it. I too, am tall and have put higher bars on and it has been brilliant. Just make sure that the bottom section/bend of the bars is vertical when the bike is on level ground - this makes heaps of difference to the way the bike rides

Also check you are getting the rear suspension to sag 1/3 of it's travel (no more, no less.... and do the front as well) when standing on the bike on level ground. Get a friend to help. Too many wheelies could be from a rear shock that is settling too far into it's travel.

Gday, drop your knees when climbing so your body remains upright but more forward against the bars. I have 30 mm under my bars and Im 6'1. Climbing is about the only thing I can do OK:-)

Cheers,

Stork

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

The pre-2011 Evos are known for the behaviour described by gazzaecowarrior. Adding risers even makes this phenomenon worse. Beta has realised this. In an effort to shift the centre of gravity forward, they have not only shifted the engine, but lowered the handlebar receivers by 1 cm on the 2011 model range.

I have long hesitated whether to buy a used 2010 or a new 2012 and having learned from your postings, I am going to go for the 2012 Evo with the 1 inch handlebar risers I have found on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180725672016

I came across this forum quite by accident, but am glad to have learned from you guys.

As a newbie, I have found at 6'2 that I am getting on reasonably well with standard bar height although I did get an involuntary wheelie at the top of a slope the other day that freaked me for a moment. I had considered some risers but what has been said above is sufficient for me to hang fire for the moment.

Useful info on the bar angle though - I'll check that out - thanks.

My trail bike (WR450) has 30mm risers to make riding it standing up tolerable but that's a completely different riding requirement.