Gunky Chain

scotty97

I take the chain off and clean it in petrol, but thinners would work too.

i have parts washer (tank) filled with diesel. soak and wipe and oil. i actually take the chain and clean finally in old gearbox oil. then refit and rag dry. then chain spray.

Whats the best way to clean a gunky chain???????? i been using belray chain lube and the dirt seems to stick to it like sh*t to a blanket. How do you get your clean?

Clean it well in the soaking solvent of choice, then get off the bel-ray and on to the wd-40 or tri-flow, blast them clean in the high pressure wash and re-apply!

There is also an excellent product called corrosion-x that works well if you can find it! :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

hi can i use turps to clean it ? coz mines more gunk than it is metal the previous owner didint look after it very well

Yes, or a mix with diesel or oil based paint thinner, kerosene, stoddard solvent! Low flammability stuffs rather than petrol is preferred.

I can use the bottom half of a plastic jug, throw the chain in, let soak then scrub it a bit, blow it dry or rinse as neccessary. Point being, these solvents do not evaporate easily and once the mash has settled, you can pour off the clean solvent into a tin for later use. Little waste here! ^_^

I can't tell you the last time i cleaned my chain. Really i have no idea. I use Maxima Chain Wax. It lasts a trial and doesn't attract dust / mud. After a dirty ride i hose the chain, let it dry, and re lube. Done. A large can lasts a year.

Hi,

Alot of people at trials seem to have nice shiny chains that appear brand new or very well kept.

I'm always really jealous cos my chain is always gunked up and looks horrible.

BUT....my chain and sprockets have been on for 30 months, and used probably once a fortnight in trials, and they're still going strong. I just squirt on some chain lube each time (switched to dry stuff so it doesn't mess up the rear end).

So, I've now come round to the view that all that maintenance isn't really worth it, or cost-justified.

TonyP

Hi,

Alot of people at trials seem to have nice shiny chains that appear brand new or very well kept.

I'm always really jealous cos my chain is always gunked up and looks horrible.

BUT....my chain and sprockets have been on for 30 months, and used probably once a fortnight in trials, and they're still going strong. I just squirt on some chain lube each time (switched to dry stuff so it doesn't mess up the rear end).

So, I've now come round to the view that all that maintenance isn't really worth it, or cost-justified.

TonyP

Totally agree !

I don't think I'd ever be jealous of someone that polishes their chain ?

For cleaning, place chain in an old 5 litre container of some sort like an oil container, put a bit of solvent of choice in (I use diesel, I'm cheap) & shake the bejesus out of it. If it was really dirty empty the filthy solvent/diesel/petrol/whatever out (save it & let the crap settle out) & put some fresh in & repeat. ^_^

Edited by noMates

• 2 weeks later...

im gonn have to buy a chain delinker then there cheap enough to come by on ebay right?? also i spent like 20 minutes cleaning my sprocket becuase it was thick with gunk so i scraped most of it off with a blunt flathead screwdriver and washed it with turps just turps in a spray bottle and it once again shines clean gold

I make sure the presure washer gets off all dirt, then dry the bike a bit and then at a later date use the dry lube stuff. Nothing sticks to it and so far chain and sprockets are lasting well. I never remove the chain to clean it these days....seems a waste of time.

Must be better for the chain not to have grit stick to it ???