Sherco Problem (need Help Quick!)

sherc0125

hi all,

i am currently new to this forum.

My problem is i have a sherco 125 2005 model, the problem i seem to be having is when i seem to press the back brake nothing seems to happen.

I have had it checked out and was told that nothing was wrong, pistons are free, pads are half worn.

When i press the back brake it doesn't seem to grip or anything.

thanks help most needed.

thank you. paul.

if the pads are moving in and out but not stopping the bike, remove the pads and clean the braking surface with brake cleaner and clean the disc with the same stuff ( both sides), if that doesnt work new pads and re clean the disc

Edited by totalshell

Well, if you have good consistant pedal pressure and the pistons are moving it is unlikely a hydro/fluid problem.

With the bike on a stand, you should be able to rotate the wheel and stop it with a toutch of the pedal by hand and with no load.

Now this in itself does not mean the bike will stop under load, because if the disc/ pads are contaminated they will not develop proper friction.

If this is the case, then get a plastic pint of water in your pocket, run the bike up the street and back making long hard stops from speed to heat the disc, then douse entire disc with the water quickly. Should steam off like crazy! Do this a couple times then let cool and dry and re-test.

This process has steam-cleaned many sets of brakes, yet is not an absolute if the pads are too contaminated with fluid or oil. :thumbup:

Well, if you have good consistant pedal pressure and the pistons are moving it is unlikely a hydro/fluid problem.

With the bike on a stand, you should be able to rotate the wheel and stop it with a toutch of the pedal by hand and with no load.

Now this in itself does not mean the bike will stop under load, because if the disc/ pads are contaminated they will not develop proper friction.

If this is the case, then get a plastic pint of water in your pocket, run the bike up the street and back making long hard stops from speed to heat the disc, then douse entire disc with the water quickly. Should steam off like crazy! Do this a couple times then let cool and dry and re-test.

This process has steam-cleaned many sets of brakes, yet is not an absolute if the pads are too contaminated with fluid or oil. :thumbup:

Have to agree with the water treatment suggestion. I like to use excessive wd40 on my bikes, always ruins the brakes. A quick warm up and purge turns them back on.