Hydraulic Clutch Conversion

social climber

I'm thinking of buying one of the hydraulic clutch conversion kits for my Climber. Has anyone converted their cable operated clutch to hydraulic using one of the kits from Hebo or Magura?

If so does it make a difference to the effort required to pull the lever or modulate the clutch action.

Is there a weight penalty worth considering?

Is it prone to damage?

opinions please?

I've got a buddy who put the Hebo one on his Honda CR250. Very tidy setup. Light clutch pull and consistant engagement, no more adjusting the clutch after each moto. Depending on where you mount the slave cylinder, it is no more prone to damage than your existing cable system. Weight is not a big deal either, the thing is pretty simple and light. It is basically the master cylinder off a GG (early trials, all enduro) with a small slave cylinder mated to a short bit of cable that replaces your stock cable. Very simple installation and really no less reliable than any modern hydraulic system on newer bikes.

Might be wrong on this, but didn't the last Climbers have a hydraulic clutch fitted as standard?

If so, start contacting the bike breakers or old Aprilia trials dealers. If you can find one, it would probably fit straight onto your bike.

Are these available mail order and where from? I am also interested in those cable clutch lightening thingys that I have seen advertised on a site before. Has anyone had any experience with those, and where are they available from? Thanks :)

Tony

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I finally got the Hebo conversion on the climber.

I got it from trialsbits.co.uk as they were the cheapest. Next day delivery as well so top marks to them.

The kit is really quite comprehensive and allows for a wide choice of cable and sleeve endings. Once I matched those and measured the distance from the existing cable mounting point to the actuating arm, it was time to find the best place to mount the slave cylinder. It says to keep away from direct contact with a heat source so I mounted it on the left hand down tube behind the edge of the radiator. I then offered the long cable up to the housing and measured how much I'd need to cut off. Those wee Dremel things are a gift for this, stops deformation of the cable outer and you can smooth off any burrs.

I had to route the hose around the headstock under the bottom of the tank to take up some excess slack but once everything was cable tied in place the radiator shrouds covered everything up really neatly.

The gap in the raiator shroud will let me get access to the bleed nipple when I need to.

Once I'd made a small adjustment at the lever I took it out for a play.

All I can say it, anyone who has a cable operated clutch should get one of these. And if you install it and then want to sell the bike, it's a simple case of putting the old cable setup back on.

The actuation is a LOT lighter than before and much smoother. I was able to get my S.O. to use it and even she thought it was easy to use (gonna teach her how to ride.... A motorbike you smut mongers at the back!! :( )

With the slave cylinder behind the radiator shroud it is well out of harms way.

Even my mate who has a 200 sherco said there was little or no difference in the effort required to pull the lever.

Need to be careful tough, cos I'm gonna run out of excuses if I keep improving the bike like this......

I was very careful to back sure that there were no tight bends in either the hose or cable.

The end result was very neat and when moving the bars from side to side there is no chaffing of the hose or resistance to movement.

The whole job took an hour, and that included two cups of tea and constantly taking tools away from my mates toddler :(

Just wish I'd done this when I got the bike.

Makes such a difference in the techical stuff.

Another benefit is that on a long distance event, if anything did happen to assembly, it's not hard to carry a clutch cable and lever in a rucksack to replace it as a 'get me home' fix.....

I'll try and post some photos when I get them.