Tlr250 Petrol Tap / Pipe

g4321

I have two TLR250's - one std, one in a Gollner monoshock frame.

On both bikes the petrol pipe goes from the tank, through the filter to the BOTTOM of the petrol tap then to the carb. this as far as i know is the standard pipe routing (unless you know different ?)

The reason for my question is that on one bike I am being plagued by petrol starvation due to kinking in the petrol pipe going fronm the carb to the tank, I have tried longer & shorter pipes and now a braided/thicker pipe but the problem still occurs.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

I think the solution is to space the tap out from the frame (if you have a TLR250 you will know what I mean!) or use an alternative routing.

Tomorrow I will be experimenting but if anyone has any suggestions?

Gordon

t-shock 250

Thanks a lot for for the reply & photo - looks like you are using a different routing to me. ie - you have tank to top of tap then bottom of tap to carb.

As you say, you have never had starvation problems, so this obviously works for you.

One of my bikes - no problems at all with the opposite routing to you (this is same as shown in 'superhondamans' picture.) Since looking at your picture I haad a browse through the other messages to see if there was a picture to confirm my original choice ( which I am pretty sure is std pipe layout).

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2884

the other bike - I have tried different fuel pipes but have suffered same problem a couple of times.

I will look at routing you are using but it may be that on the Gollner bike the tap position has been changed.

Its not a major problem to overcome but it is very irritating when a bike runs in the garage & 5 miles up the road it wont due to something so trivial!

Edited by g4321

outlet height on the standard tank, it may be a different height to mine, could make a difference to fuel flow?

I thought about this as well but surely as long as the tank outlet is above the carb float valve there should be no problem.

I think I am just going to have to spend some time playing around with the various options (lengths & positions & types of pipe & your routing) to cure problem.

All the best

Gordon

got mine the same as t-shock 250, tank to TOP of tap out the bottom of tap into filter then onto carb, no kinking probs, pipe came from my local trials centre, just black petrol pipe NOT re-enforced.

As for my tlr 200 fitted with an after market ali tank with fibreglass cover similar to the Golner, I went straight from tank to tap to carb, with no probs

any help??

Booma

post-24-1106421558.jpg

Thanks Booma.

Had a play around with the problematic bike before today & it appears the problem of the pipe kinking has been partially due to the mounting bracket for the tap having been bent out of place some time in the past, this meant that whatever pipe you used the angle between tap & carb was too tight. A little bit of twisting, some braided pipe & and external spring on the bend SEEMS to have solved my problems.

With the location of the shock it is not practical to reverse the tap piping.