Tlr 200 - Replacement Front Sprocket

jmo

Hi everyone, forgive the numptyishness of this request, but I'm at a loss...

I recently ordered a replacement front sprocket (Talon) for the TLR, but while my bike has a retaining plate and two M6 bolts to hold on the front sprocket, the new sprocket is just plain...

Is there an alternative way of mounting this kind of sprocket to the output shaft? or can I just order the other style of sprocket?

Your wisdom is, as ever, welcome!

Jenny xx

Edited by JMo

Should be a groove on the shaft for a circlip to hold the sprocket in place.

ps, Did you see the auto decompressor on ebay?

Thanks 4stroke - yes, there is a groove in the shaft, but I don't have a circlip, rather it uses a toothed plate and two small bolts to hold the sprocket in position (like My XR, and other Hondas I believe). I can see how a circlip would work, however, wouldn't I also need some sort of spacer between the back of the sprocket and the seal/engine casing to stop the sprocket moving along the shaft?

Do you (or anyone) know where I might get these parts, before I phone round the dealers on Monday...

J x

ps. I saw some decompressor components on ebay, but they seem to be the internal bits that I already have, it's just the arm, brackets and cable I need... in fact if I get no joy, turns out they are still available to order new through my Honda dealer!

Most of the sprockets have a shoulder on the engine side for the spacing. There should also be a an inner circlip for the sprocket to then sit between the two.

Thats all you need as long as the output shaft and sprocket splines are in good condition.

Aha, that makes sense! Yes the Talon sprocket has a shoulder on the inner face, but I need to source these Circlips... are they just generic, or can you buy them specifically for the TLR shaft, and where from?

Sorry for sounding so lame with this - I have the parts fiche and the workshop manual, but both only show the toothed plate and bolt type of fitting...

I really appreciate all the advice...

J x

Hi Jenny Contact Gordon Farleys they sell the spacers, sprockets and circlips you need, if you are replacing the sprocket you will have to put the spacer on the inside of the sprocket, this takes up any lateral movement on the drive shaft splines, the outside circlip should be a tight fit

If there is any play on the drive shaft it will wear the drive shaft splines, and you will end up needing a new drive shaft, very exspensive and hard to find, hope this helps

Regards Bob :rolleyes:

Excellent! - just the info I was after - thanks Bob!

I'll give them a call in the morning - I'm itching to see how the bke rides with lower gearing (currently 13/44)...

Many thanks!

J xx

Just to say Gordon Farley was excellent - ordered over the phone and the parts arrived next day...

I am now the proud owner of a noticeably lower geared TLR! - Result!

J x

• 1 month later...

Along the same lines of this posting...

Can someone tell me what is the smallest front sprocket that will fit and still use the OEM bolts and locking collar?

I think the [stock] 13T sprocket is the smallest? - certainly there doesn't look to be much room between the chain and the locking plate for anything smaller... I fitted an 11T and that uses the circlip method.

J x