Newbie Question

montster

Hi guys,

I've been lurking for a while here as I'm dead keen to getting into doing some trials riding.

I'm 43 and 78kg and ride offroad on KTM's. My 12 yr old son also does some off roading and is getting into MX on his KTM 65SX. I think he will probably be going up to an 85SX before the end of the year. We live in Bali and there's no trial clubs here.

I started taking my son to the MX track so he could learn how to handle the bike before taking him out with me offroad riding. He's now getting into MX over offroad which I'm not over the moon about, but I will support what ever he wants to do.

I've got the idea of messing around at the track on a trials bike whilst my son rides his MX bike, and have the support of the track owner to even make a trails riding area there. I would be great if he and some of the other kids could also get into trying out some trials riding also.

Therefore any bike I decided to get, I would want that anjy bike i get could be tried out and used by my son and some of the other kids, as well as being used by me .

After doing some research I'm about to buy a Beta Evo 200. Would this be OK for my son also ? I realise that its a compromise but I don't want to get 2 bikes without him trying out trials riding first.

Secondly , any advice about setting up a practice area ?

What kind of obstacles should we initially build for novice riders at the track ? We can move dirt and import any kinds of materials there.

I've also got some spare land at home (an area of about 200 square metres) that I thought i could make into a home training area also. I've got this idea of making a landscaped rock garden type area - something thats also nice to look at - not pallets and oil drums.

I've got rocks and soil freely available. Has anyone done something like this or got any ideas how I could go about designing this considering I'm a complete novice ?

Any advice and input to all of the above would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by Montster

Lot's of questions. Re the Beta 200. A bit big for your son now. But fine within two years. It'll be good for you too.

Practice areas: You can develop the techniques in your driveway. Then worry about the rest.

Where abouts are you?

Lot's of questions. Re the Beta 200. A bit big for your son now. But fine within two years. It'll be good for you too.

Practice areas: You can develop the techniques in your driveway. Then worry about the rest.

Where abouts are you?

I'm in Bali, Indonesia. Theres no trials clubs here so we'll be riding the bike more for fun rather than fun in a competition, so rules and regulations are not important. I guess we'll see how we go on the 200 and the Trials riding technique DVD !

Looking forward to asking a lot more questions once I get the bike !

Cheers,

Monty