Suspension

taff_d

Just got a new Gas Gas 250 and I find the suspension very soft compared to my old Beta even when the compression damping is full adjusted, has anyone tried different weight oils springs etc ?

Also I managed to get trapped between the bike and a tree yesterday and I have melted my pants and my skin from my right leg on the the front pipe (titanium) anyone had any luck cleaning marks off the front pipe without scratching the finish ?

Edited by Taff_d

Just got a new Gas Gas 250 and I find the suspension very soft compared to my old Beta even when the compression damping is full adjusted, has anyone tried different weight oils springs etc ?

Also I managed to get trapped between the bike and a tree yesterday and I have melted my pants and my skin from my right leg on the the front pipe (titanium) anyone had any luck cleaning marks off the front pipe without scratching the finish ?

Never tried it on a Ti pipe, but a sharpened piece of copper pipe will remove nasties from a chrome pipe, the copper being softer than the chrome and will not scratch it.

Jon

For future reference the best way to clean melted pant,boot,rubber or skin from a pipe is to get the pipe hot, either by running the motor a while or a torch, then spray on an oven cleaner like Easy Off onto the dirty part. The cleaner won't affect the pipe or any plating on the pipe but it can harm painted sufaces. It works great.

Edited by motofire

My friend commented the rear suspension on his new GasGas seemed very soft. Before doing any adjustment though we went out to a practice spot and I watched closely as he rode a series of obstacles. We then took a good look at his suspension and noticed on the new GasGas the shock travel is different then other bikes. The shock has a very short range of free motion before it hits an elastomer bumper. The bumper itself is quite large. Too large to be just a travel stop for the shock. The conclusion was that the soft spring takes care of the small bumps but the elastomer provides a secondary spring rate for the larger hits. It may be that GasGas found this to be a better solution then a progressive or dual rate spring. It's certainly cheaper to manufacture. After another session of closely observing his suspension while he rode I could see no bad behavior from the system. It didn't have uncontrolled rebound on hits and wasn't violently bottoming out either. In fact it seemed very well controlled and "sticky". End result, we left it alone.

Unless you're heavier then the average rider you'll probably do well to leave it at or near the factory settings. The bike is so different feeling then the Beta it'll take a while to get used to it so don't over think it. Just ride it. You'll get used to it.

OK so you're no Amos Bilbao. Yeah you could probably use a heavier spring.

I agree, at 224+- lbs, you'll probably be happier with a heavier spring. I think that

heavier front springs are also available if you need them.

Jon

Had chance to mess on tonight got the front nearly sorted but the rears a mile away, got the rear maxed out on preload and I have 72mm sag looking for 55mm so quess I need a heavier spring.

Yes they do!!

unless the new gas gas rear shocks are different to a 2003 gas gas, because my mate upgraded his rear spring on his 2009 beta evo to a sxs one supplied from steve saunders. When he did this he leant me his old spring to try in my gas gas and it fits, excact same shock just upside down on the beta, so i then ordered a sxs spring for my gas gas and my god what a difference, they come with measurements to set the spring to a specific length to suit your weight using the two rings on the shock