Tlr 200 Paint: A Respectable Substitute For Touchups

scooterspal

In a pinch this weekend to touch up some spots on my lower frame so I can reset the motor later this week I paid a visit to my local auto parts store to see what I could come up with. I took along one of the rear tail light brackets to try and match.

There were two spray cans that seemed to be rather close but with the florescent lighting inside the store you can be fooled by the color.

I bought both for $10 and took them home.

I must say I was very pleased with one of them. Dupli-Color's Chevrolet Orange-Red #DE1607 engine enamel was a very, very close match. In fact, now that I look at the frame in the light of day I honestly cannot see the difference.

I know the purists out there will poo-poo this but it's worth taking a look.

BTW: The maker claims the paint is oil and gasoline resistant, is good for up to 500 degrees F, and leaves an extremely hard "ceramic" high gloss finish.

tlrpaint.jpg

Since posting this I have learned this paint may not be available outside the US and Canada due to the level or nature of solvents in the paint. That is, other countries consider it hazardous and will not allow it to be imported.

I contacted a dealer in the UK who used to sell Krylon spray paint (Krylon is the manufacturer of Dupli-Color paints) and was told the following "Krylon shipments have been banned coming into EU due to some of the chemicals that they contain".

This is rather sad news in a way as, from what I have gathered reading this site in particular, the TLR's are most popular in the UK. I was hoping this information would be of some benefit to those Honda owners.

Edited by scooterspal

UPDATE:

Caswell is a plating company with offices in the UK and in Australia... as well as the US.

They can and will import the Duplicolor paint on special order.

From Caswell UK:

Caswell UK

We can order this in from the USA but it would be classed as a special order, so we would need pre-payment. Our next order goes in at the end of August and takes approx. 14 days to turn around. Costs will be as follows :

6 x Chevy Orange-Red @

• 3 weeks later...