Cheap Bultaco In Scotland

andy m

I think many people prefer to rebuild a bike themselves believing that they will make a better job of it (whilst ignoring the economic realities) or make it more suitable for their needs over a purchased ready done bike which may have had some shortcuts taken.

Off topic I know, Big John you mention above (No.1 son has helped himself to the 199A I bought from the Bingleys, now fitted with a Mikuni and electronic ignition, worth the expense) In which areas have these parts most improved the bike and did the Mikuni take much setting up?

Would you please describe the changes being made to the project bike.

Edited by TrialsRfun

Off topic I know, Big John you mention above (No.1 son has helped himself to the 199A I bought from the Bingleys, now fitted with a Mikuni and electronic ignition, worth the expense) In which areas have these parts most improved the bike and did the Mikuni take much setting up?

Would you please describe the changes being made to the project bike.

Well the ignition went sick at his first real event, the Highland Classic, so he was real brassed off. I couldn't be bothered figuring out what had actually gone off, we think it may have been the source coil, but as sparks had gone completely I thought the time was ripe for an electronic system to be fitted. I bought the kit from Bultaco UK as I haven't actually heard of anyone (yet) using the electrixworld kit. Our good friend "Chips" (of Pre65 Scottish fame!) fitted the ignition one evening and had it running as sweet as a Bultaco Nut the same evening.

Mikuni was a straight bolt on and just set the tick-over, nothing altered jetting wise at all and it performs clean right through rev range. The Bing had been refurbished from what I could tell, but it just pee'd fuel all over the place, so again for ease I bought a new component, had a new airbox fitted too while we were at it!

That's the 199A taken care of.

The project 199, I am building that from a standing start, I have amassed quite a lot of Bultaco parts over the years, some brand new (nos) some second hand, but good condition. I ended up with a 198 frame in a deal involving a Talon disc conversion for a TY250R Yamaha, then I aquired a 199 motor complete, then because the 198 swingarm was bent, I came across a 199A swing arm on e-bay and at the same time bought the remaining parts of the 199 which amounted to: frame; swingarm; rear engine mount the cast alloy type and rear wheel, all of which were in reasonable order and very much restoreable.

Airbox from the earlier 151 - 158 model is larger capacity than 199A, and as I had one on the shelf, thought I would use that too. Forks I had in stock mod. 199 plus others of course, so they have been re-chromed by Pitted Forks of Luton, plus brand new yokes I bought a while ago are all in the corner of the batcave for the eventual build.

In all, I should be able to put together a nice rideable bike for not a fortune (for a change!). Tank I have more than one alloy Sherpa tank, but I will probably splash out and buy a poly red tank from Bultaco UK to finish it off. All I need now is the seat and hopefully solved the exhaust thanks to a very nice gentleman from Yorkshire called Graham T!

How often I will get to ride the project 199 (a model I owned brand new back in 1977) depends on how many of my Spanish Bultaco buddies come over for Alvie next year and beyond!

Big John

Edited by Big John

Thank you Big John, on the project bike have you carried out the footrest position mod that was recommended by Senor Greeves here on TC a little while ago. If you know what is involved or have any pictures I would be interested to see them. Being 6' 4" tall I find the std Bulto rests set a little too high.

Thank you Big John, on the project bike have you carried out the footrest position mod that was recommended by Senor Greeves here on TC a little while ago. If you know what is involved or have any pictures I would be interested to see them. Being 6' 4" tall I find the std Bulto rests set a little too high.

Not yet TrF, but of course it will be done before the frame is powder coated silver, as the original mod.199 colour scheme which I am retaining. I will use Hebo footrests rather than original Bultaco, I have the bracketry ready for this. If not Hebo then I may try a set of Chewy's "Control" footrests, if he does me them at a good price (hint, hint)

Further to the rear and down from the original position, plus the Hebos sit a little lower than stock footrests anyway. This has already been done to the Ex-Dabster 340 frame to use also Hebo footrests. (Or again Control if the price is right (come on Chewy thats two sets I could use?)

I'm not yet decided on fitting Magical or Rock Shocks, I have both, No.1 son likes the Rock Shocks, currently fitted on the 199A, very good, they are around

Edited by Big John

i have just bought a 199A frame of ebay with the intent having a long term profect to keep me out of the pub.

Any advice?

i have read a lot about different mods some sound good but others are plain wacky E.G front forks out of a sherco being fitted is just stupid

Reading your post Big john has got me wondering how far you can take the bultaco frame?

this is my first propper build bing a nipper at the age of 21 so i dont know what really can be done?

i like the idea of modern forks as my m159's are rubbish even after a service and money being spent.

as for the foot rest location being changed sounds good as i am 6'5"

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all; I really enjoy reading this kind of posts in the forum. It is very interesting for me to see other pilots opinions about the modifications in the Bultaco bikes, specially coming from people that know very well what they are doing as Mr. Big John (and others of course).

In my opinion a standard well tuned Bultaco of any of the 198 & 199

• Like 1