Here, Gas-people !

ham2

There is no market for this bike or perhaps Scorpa would still be in business.

As far as I am aware there are no unsold new Scorpa trials bikes of any sort in Britain so I don't follow your logic. I do know people who are very keen to get a new 175 four stroke one though so a market seems to exist.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I am aware there are no unsold new Scorpa trials bikes of any sort in Britain so I don't follow your logic. I do know people who are very keen to get a new 175 four stroke one though so a market seems to exist.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: X2

Expect the Scorpa 125 4t on British soil again soon. :marky:

The reason there are none "unsold" as with their TYZ 2 stroke is that the company ran out of money due to poor sales and had no money to buy engines. If there had been a demand this would not have happened.

Anecdotal evidence that a few of your friends want them is vague at the least and certainly not repeated countrywide. I have never seen one at a richmond trial, and to my best recollection no one owns one in my centre or the two adjacent ones, well if they do they don't compete. There is no demand as if there was it would have been the first bike produced by Sherco.

It wasn't and more likely won't be coming or would ever sell in numbers to even justify production.

I accept that an aircooled small cc bike may be a good thing for learners (at a budget price) but human nature and the limitations of a converted trail bike will never allow enough success in sales terms and in the current economic climate numbers are king. The Bliss bike was another failure on the same lines wasn't it?

Whether the 2011 Scorpa badged 2010 Sherco will sell at

Edited by Nigel Dabster

There is no market for this bike or perhaps Scorpa would still be in business.

I would suspect that Akiyama san has supplied Gas Gas with a solid business case for the bike in JAPAN (although Gasser have made some monumental cock-ups in their marketing in the past).

One thing is for sure, Takumi Narita did the little 4Ts (and full face helmets) a big favour in the Japanese championship.

Those that have ridden the wee scorpa 4t's love 'em, myself included. I did not ride the 175 racing version, just the standard one, but would think it would be an excellent lower end clubman bike. I'm certain that the majority of clubmen riders would loose less marks on a smaller/less powerful machine. I rode it a great deal for about 18 months and sold it for more than I paid for it at the first attempt. The combination of a simple durable low maintenace air cooled motor in a gasgas chassis is very appealing to me. I like my 200 pro but can't help wondering when the first engine rebuild will be needed, done the kickstart pawl and gear twice now.

I have never seen one at a richmond trial

I rode one in Richmond last year so did a lad from my village untill recently, one went round to Scott a few years back. They are a proper marmite machine but people buy them and people like them.

Hope Gasgas get them here, If you see a 125 4t scorpa let me know as i have cash waiting for a nice one.

Just to add my comments....

I has one of the first TYS125's in the country (Dec 2003) and rode it regularly (30+ trials a year) in the North East Centre for the next two and a half years. Fact was - my results improved dramatically from my previous bike (a brand new GG Pro which was my introduction to trialling after Moto-X).

After then riding a Scorpa SY250 and Beta 250 I have recently sourced another Scorpa, one of the last SY200 (163cc). I snapped it up, and will keep it and keep it. Simplicity and ease of riding means I won't be changing now after selling the Beta.

My opinion on Scorpa 'going bust'.

People would buy (and did) the SY250, however the engine was only produced for Scorpa by Yamaha and expensive, therefore prices went up and effectively the bikes became too expensive in comparison. If the engine prices had been reasonable and therefore bike prices the same as mainsteam Gas Gas/Beta/Sherco then Im convinced Scorpa would be in business still. The little 125 was a victim of this, and could not survive. I'm sure Scorpa could have marketed better and possible priced much lower for the little 125 (the Yamaha 125 engine is produced and sold in tens of thousands, therefore engine costs should be low).

As far as seeing any competing - you certainly will be seeing one in the North East Centre on a regular basis (mine!)- and certainly over the past few years I have seen them regularly in the North East anyway.

There will be a Scorpa 125 in 2011 with the Yamaha engine - but only a 125 and not the uprated 163cc

Summary from me (with experience)

There is a market for the 125 as has been proven.

I have and still do see them regularly competing

The 125 improved my results (fact) and I guess would for a lot of people.

The world in general would be a more boring place if everyone rode state of the art 2T hopped up blinged latest bikes - Scorpa was different and the trials world was a much better place for it !

My thoughts as always.....!!!

cheers

John

Edited by John B

Why will gas gas suceed where scorpa failed?

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that it was the larger bikes that sank Scorpa. Whether that's true I don't know but it does follow the old adage of "what wins on Sunday sells on Monday". Scorpa weren't getting results in the WTC so their sales suffered. Gasser on the other hand are getting results (apart from the pesky Bou fellow), so buy a Gasser 125/175 4T and hook your wagon to the star that is Gas Gas?

Still as ugly as sin though, if it were better looking I would consider one. Some here have already said they wouldn't hesitate.

Edited by TooFastTim

Why will gas gas suceed where scorpa failed?

Because what they are doing is a good idea, They wont sell loads of them over hear but they will sell some, i can see them selling loads in Japan where small 4t motors are the trend. Scorpa may have failed but 125 4t is still a good bike, and there is still a lot of love for it.

Edited by godzilla

• 3 weeks later...