Sacu Centre Of Excellence?

beaver

I have heard rumours of the SACU Centre of Excellence. But, what is it going to do and what "facilities" will it offer to Trials? I have asked other club members and they don't seem to know either. Maybe Big John can help on this one.

Edited by DanGleebitz

My moneys on motocross only, higher profile etc. you just had to attend the SACU awards this year and listen to the amount of money getting given to the crossers to see trials is the poor relation.

"Mettallica":- SAD BUT TRUE!

Guest Scottie

I don't know about their school of excellence but the SACU are trying to help trials. Gary is Scotland's only accredited Coach and the SACU paid for a coaching assessor to travel from England and train him here in Kinlochleven. The intention is that Gary will train 5/6 candidates throughout Scotland so that they can officially coach at club level. It's a start!

Sandra

Sorry John , have to disagree with you there , if we dont push our own barrow and stick up for trials by expecting support in the form of schools of excellence who will. the forms of motorcycle sport you mention (some still in their infancy) attract more attention and as a result more sponsor ship which has knock on effects regards training etc. Garry is to be applauded in his role as coach but maybe the way to use him would be at a centres which could be moved about scotland and catering for Scotlands top youth riders when his calendar allows and be sponsored by the SACU to let him do so. This may seem slightly elitest, but if we want ,expect , future riders to compete at the levels Garry , Roger, Gavin etc are capable of riding at ,they have to be coached as natural ability and dedication only take you so far (with extreme case exceptions). As ive said I think trials is regarded as the poor relation but with help and publicity it could be dragged up to mx levels, e.g SSDT Tv coverage. I know its easy for me to sit here and spout off do this , do that but ive seen it with other sport my families involved in , but again credit to the people who can be bothered to do anything to promote our sport ,no matter how small. :wall:

Guest Scottie

I know of three Scottish youth riders who are competing in the British Championship this year. Unfortunately, unless something changes in Scotland then it's the only way for trial riders to improve. It's no different for Gary, he won't improve unless he competes at a higher level against better riders. As far as the coaching is concerned it's very early days but I would hope that something could be set up to help the youths in particular, the costs of travelling around Britain is overwhelming.

Sandra

Guest Scottie

Pete - The local sports council (brilliant) is the only one out af all you mentioned that have helped Gary. We have spent hours and hours, year after year filling in applications only to be turned down each time. Sport Scotland will only give you funding if you can achieve high placings in international trials. The obvious obstacle is that you need the money to get there in the first place. John is right I am certain funding wont come from those other organisations. We were told that Gary stood a better chance of funding if he applied to the English Sports council?? Doesn't make sense.

Sandra

Edited by Scottie

I think that the point Pete was trying to make at the start (I'm sure Pete will correct me if I'm wrong) is that the SACU should give trials the same kind of support as it does to other motorcycle sports - motocross in particular.

It was evident from the presentation that the Trophies were a bit of a damp squib as far as Trials went. Bearing in mind that these boys and adults shed blood, sweat and tears (as did the motocross fraternity) not to mention the time and money to win The Scottish Championship and they came away with a very small trophy compared to the motocross. I know it's only a piece of silverware but to most, if not all the Champions, it's maybe the only major title they are likely to win and are, rightly so very proud. It's hardly a centerpiece for the mantle. :angry:

The sponsorship by Bridgestone is great for motocross but have the trials committee asked for help/sponsorship from any other manufacturer/supplier? We know from the great work that Sandra and Arthur have done that nothing comes to you, you have to go and find it.

As for Gary getting his Coaching Certificate thats a brilliant start for scottish trials and now we have to build on that.

Maybe the SACU could be a bit more transparent and publish what has been done, what is being done and what is in the pipeline stage. Then the members know exactly what is going on and are more informed and are less likely to attack the SACU through a lack of information. The newsletters at the moment are hardly comprehensive. I wouldnt be asking the question (ie the topic) had this information been readily available.

Believe me I know and appreciate how hard funding is to come by and all credit to yourself and Arthur ,Sandra, for funding the majority of Gaz's success from (I believe ) your own pocket a fact the SACU and the trials fraternity as a whole appreciate , but it doesnt make it right that you should have to do so. Garry is an ambassador for Scottish sport and I apologise for continually siteing his name but as you say if he was based any where else would you need to fill in the forms and wade through red tape. Where does the next Garry , Roger or Gavin come from or do we sit back and hope another parent will take the chance in the way these boys parents have in the hope theyll make it. Yes trials is a quiet sport that didnt/ doesnt warrant media attention but who would have thought 10 years ago indoor would attract the audiences that it does now, so do we as Scottish devotees of the sport sit back and say no one will be interested or do people start knocking on doors and making a nuisance of themselves, Im quite sure Bridgestone would have sat back on their hunkers and sold tyres without offering funding had they not been approached.

Any way, great to see debate on Scottish trials on here and John, your Presentation at the SACU awards " Le testicles du chien" :angry:

Sue/Pete/Big John

The trouble is that from the motocross/enduro club members perspective they see the SACU favouring Road Racing & see MX/enduro entries/licences as subsidising road racing.

This was always the feeling from the local MX clubs, togrether with the SACU having a distinct central/southern Scotland bias, not seeing any returns to the sport in the North from a vast amount of money (as they see it) paid out to the SACU.

I am fully aware of the insurance costs, capitation fees etc that have to be paid out but to the average club MX rider all they see is

Funding is not that easy, believe me. The SACU have been trying for years to get funding from the Scottish Sports Council and various other organisations for a variety of disciplines, long before most posters on this website became involved in trials.

It's not just bikes, every single so called minority sport has as much chance of ANY funding as I have of winning the Scottish.

I asked recently for some money to take the NATIONAL Under 16 Ice Hockey Team to play at an international tournament in Sweden at Easter and to build our national program. We have a five year development plan, we have support from every rink owner in the country but we can't get a penny in fiscal support from the National sports council. Unless you play Kissball, sorry football, Rugby or Golf then you don't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting anything. It's not just bikes

dy