Leaking Carb

thomastomsk

anybody out there help me,,,i have just got a 2007 raga txt 300 pro and have just come back from a ride and noticed fuel coming from the nipple at the bottom of the bowl,why is this happening and how do i go about sorting the problem out,,,,also should there be a tube from this nipple ,,,,thanks for any help ,,,,,tom

Hi,

i'm not sure if the raga comes with a different carb from a Dell orto, but if it is, it's most likely dirt in the carb perhaps causing the floats to stick or the plunger that the floats rise up to when the carb is full of petrol to not close properly, in any case it's probably just needing a clean.

And yes i would think it should have a pipe attached running away from the carb to under the bike to drain fuel away from the engine in case it were to fall on it's side.

Get a can of carb cleaner and if you have access to compressed air even better.

If you have not stripped one before, once you get it open by releasing the single bolt underneath it's not that complex inside, nothing will fall out apart from the floats and just make sure you noticed what way they went in.

I hope thats of some help to you :o

it is a kieln carb thats on the bike,i will strip the carb and clean it tomorrow and then see how that goes,,,,thanks for the info,,,tom

This is basically just an overflow tube. There is a metal tube inside the bowl that extends up just higher than the fuel level and fuel sloshes into it as you ride. The standard configuration from Kiehin is a long hose that exits the bowl, runs up and over the carb and down on the other side, to trap the fuel rather than letting it p*** everywhere. Add, all that does is trap fuel in the hose.

Simpler than that is to just cap it off!!! It will be fine!! :o

the petrol is running freely out of this over flow when the petrol is turned on so must be something not right inside,i am going to put a hose on the nipple and run it over the carb like you say,,,,do not fancy capping it off,,,incase there is a problem like this down the line .....thanks,,tom

stripped the carb this morning,,,,a lot of crap came out of it,,,,put it back together with all the nipples connected to tubing,,,perfect,,,just come back from the morning session no problems,,,bit of dinner then back out,,brill,,,thanks to every one for info it was a great help....tom

Want to add my question on this subject.

I have Keinin too and it have 2 nipples to let petrol out - one on the gear shifter side at the bottom of carb, and other on the opposite side near center of carb's height. So i have hoses on this 2 nipples and if bike fall on side, fuel is leaking from that nipple at the bottom of carb, but some time ago i started to admit fuel drop on the ground, where im training jumps on a border - there's asphalt so splats clearly seen on it. I stalled bike on gear, raise it on the rear wheel, front up like im doing high wheelie and wait. Few seconds later fuel start leaking from that other hose on the back side of carb, but first hose was dry as in normal condition.

Pair of months ago there was no fuel leaking and splats from bashguard to the ground (bash now is always dirty from dust sticking to spilled fuel mix) and while i was wheeling there was not leaking too, even if i rised bike at stalling just like i described. Carb is cleaned few times, air filter cleaned, all seems to be normal...

Also.. i think, this is outgoing from petrol leaking - i have a problems after jump on something (bike is in nearly vertical position before landing) - motor starts to hesitate and lose revs, like it going to stall (or out of fuel). Sometime it disappear in 10-15 secs - i need to waste my balance on waiting!, but sometime i stall. Many times have regulated fuel/air mix leaner or richer... nothing changed, just have a worst motor work after bike's vertical positions.

Need an advise! Thanks.

Edited by Lian

Want to add my question on this subject.

I have Keinin too and it have 2 nipples to let petrol out - one on the gear shifter side at the bottom of carb, and other on the opposite side near center of carb's height. So i have hoses on this 2 nipples and if bike fall on side, fuel is leaking from that nipple at the bottom of carb, but some time ago i started to admit fuel drop on the ground, where im training jumps on a border - there's asphalt so splats clearly seen on it. I stalled bike on gear, raise it on the rear wheel, front up like im doing high wheelie and wait. Few seconds ago fuel start leaking from that other hose on the back side of carb, but first hose was dry as in normal condition.

Pair of months ago there was no fuel leaking and splats from bashguard to the ground (bash now is always dirty from dust sticking to spilled fuel mix) and while i was wheeling there was not leaking too, even if i rised bike at stalling just like i described. Carb is cleaned few times, air filter cleaned, all seems to be normal...

Also.. i think, this is outgoing from petrol leaking - i have a problems after jump on something (bike is in nearly vertical position before landing) - motor starts to hesitate and lose revs, like it going to stall (or out of fuel). Sometime it disappear in 10-15 secs - i need to waste my balance on waiting!, but sometime i stall. Many times have regulated fuel/air mix leaner or richer... nothing changed, just have a worst motor work after bike's vertical positions.

Need an advise! Thanks.

Sounds as though the float level is too high, or you have trash in the needle valve. Get an inline filter for it! :D

I have filter already.. :D

This is my carb - i was told (and read on this forum) floats need to be parallel to carb line, but my seems to be not.

Original floats pisition

15499564_0.jpg

Now it parallel with finger help

15499563_0.jpg

Does it cause the problem? How i need to fix that?

Thanks.

I have filter already.. :D

This is my carb - i was told (and read on this forum) floats need to be parallel to carb line, but my seems to be not.

Original floats pisition

15499564_0.jpg

Now it parallel with finger help

15499563_0.jpg

Does it cause the problem? How i need to fix that?

Thanks.

You must hold the carb at a 45% angle so the needle just toutches the seat(and no spring action of needle) like this(\), then set level from base to top of float at 21-22mm. :D