French Spec Fantics

turbo

Hi there, just got myself another 300 fantic ,as its from France it is one of those that the engine is 239cc as opposed to 249cc as per UK spec. Does any body know what these go like ,is there a noticeable difference or none at all and also what was the reason for this reduction in capacity any way. Hi Lee I bet You know the answer and are you coming to Devon this year for the 2 day classic ,hope all is well with you.

Don't have any experience of a 239cc Fantic but I know that French market bikes were under 240cc as their tax laws meant that buying/running a bike over 240cc became quite a bit more expensive some time in the 70s. The 238 Bultaco Sherpa was, I think, the first example of bikes made to fit with the French tax situation.

Hi there, just got myself another 300 fantic ,as its from France it is one of those that the engine is 239cc as opposed to 249cc as per UK spec. Does any body know what these go like ,is there a noticeable difference or none at all and also what was the reason for this reduction in capacity any way. Hi Lee I bet You know the answer and are you coming to Devon this year for the 2 day classic ,hope all is well with you.

Hi Martin, So you bought Hamishes Bike then? White side panels I think? With loopless rear frame? Wanna posta piccie? Maybe you should sell just the front brake on ebay to pay for the whole bike and a short holiday in new yokrk also ? hahahahahaha

The reason for 239 has been written already, funny french tax or insurance system. (The same in italy and thats why they never sold a 156cc professional there...only 125s).

As far as the motor goes its the same apart from the barrel and piston. Billy P may know a difference, but I had one which I the rebored and plated for a larger piston. Then 300s had different porting anyway (low port motor) and this makes them more prone to knockug than say a 249 motor from a 301 onwards.

you could just swap for a later clylnder?

Never made dartmoor as we had two D-Cup rounds here which I had to ride to stay in thplacings

will be back for exmioor though

cheers

L