Exhaust Mid Section

steve1979

Hi guy's, i'm in the process of putting a new S3 piston kit in my 03 txt pro.

While i'm at it, i'm decoking the front pipe etc. The mid section looks quite sooty inside.

Also the paint is a cracked and flaking slightly so i intend to sandblast the outside of it and respray with high temp paint.

Is the mid section hollow or does it have a permanent packing in it too. Seeing as i'm going to paint it can i heat it with oxy acetylene to burn the soot out.

Cheers.

Steve

The middle muffler has stainless steel shavings inside it that looks like real coarse steel wool. At least my 07 does. What I do about once a year is remove the fiberglass silencer packing, lay it on the ground, pour kerosene in it and light it with a torch. You will need to relight it several times in the beginning but after it heats up it will keep burning for hours with flames and smoke coming out both ends. Make sure you remove the rubber o-rings first! Afterwards it will have that new bike sound again.

aah, that's interesting. I did a search and came up with people that had cut the mid section open to clean it out, but i'm not sure if that was the older type with the triangular mid section.

I dont plan to go that far with it though, but cleaning it out your way sounds good.

I was pleased to find when the head came off, the barrel was in good order with no visual signs of wear. Just evidence of blow by from the rings worn probably past the service limit.

Thanks for your reply sectionone :lol: