History Of Trials

bigfoot

My son is doing a project at school about hobbies. He want to do a bit on trials and has a 2-5 minute presentation to do. I'm looking for any information on the net regarding the history of the sport. I've got Bigjohn's wonderful history of the SSDT but not trials in general. When and where did trials start for instance?

Anyone that can help with links or info would be appreciated. BTW my son is 12 years and needs this info tonight (1st of Feb) or tomorrow.

John,

The first trial was the Scott, which Alfred Scott created to prove the reliability of the motorcycles which bore his name. I think the first Scott was held in 1913 (try the Richmond site for details).

I don't reckon that will cover 2-5 mins but it does prove that being anal has it's advantages :angry:

TFT

Ill give it a shot!

Started out being a test of reliability around 1900 I think. If you could even finish the course then you were lucky. As the bikes got better, faster then there were morte tests added. Some organisers put speed sections in, and some added rougher ground. As each was used more they developed into Motocross and into Trials. The early trials were still quite difficult on unreliable bikes, and still had some outrageous clothes! The 'footing' coat was often worn, this went to the ground to try and fox the observer into thinking you hadn't dabbed! As time went on the bikes got better, tests got bigger. When rear suspension was introduced in the '50s I think the tests got harder. The next big step was two strokes which again increased the difficulty then came mono-shocks. After that all things have been weight saving, switching to liquid cooling etc until the new four strokes have come!

Hope this helps, a very brief history!

Pete.

Try these books

The 'Scottish' 1900 - 1962 by Tommy Sandham- Willow Publishing.

The Scottish 1963-1989 by Tommy Sandham and John Dickinson

The Scott Trial by Harry Bradley-published by Ariel Publishing Unit 2 The Swan St Harmon Powys LD6 5NG

Four Stroke Finale 'The Honda Trials Story' by Tommy Sandham & John Dickinson.

The first Scott was the Suday before Easter in 1914. Total entry was 14 all riding Scotts. Started from Shipley nr Bradford W Yorks.