Anyone used a RAV4 with a rack type carrier?

rhubarb

Am currently looking at trials transport and favouring a 4WD because I dont fancy getting stuck at some of the muddy fields used for parking :rolleyes:

It will be a second vehicle on limited mileage insurance so not looking to spend a shedload so have been looking at either Mitsubishi Delica's or a Toyota RAV4, does anyone have experience of using a Dave Cooper type carrier (for one bike) on the back?

Either that or suggestions for reasonably priced alternatives :thumbup:

Am currently looking at trials transport and favouring a 4WD because I dont fancy getting stuck at some of the muddy fields used for parking :rolleyes:

It will be a second vehicle on limited mileage insurance so not looking to spend a shedload so have been looking at either Mitsubishi Delica's or a Toyota RAV4, does anyone have experience of using a Dave Cooper type carrier (for one bike) on the back?

Either that or suggestions for reasonably priced alternatives :thumbup:

Hi, I use a Dave Cooper rack on a Toyota Rav 4 and the vehicle is spot on for a bike rack. My model has the back wheel on the rear door and is handy for strapping to.

I bought the rack second hand and it is one of the 4x4 racks. The bike did lean in a bit so we cut and welded the arms on the rack to shorten them a bit and the bike now sits upright.

Hope this is helpful.

Hi, I use a Dave Cooper rack on a Toyota Rav 4 and the vehicle is spot on for a bike rack. My model has the back wheel on the rear door and is handy for strapping to.

I bought the rack second hand and it is one of the 4x4 racks. The bike did lean in a bit so we cut and welded the arms on the rack to shorten them a bit and the bike now sits upright.

Hope this is helpful.

Thats great thanks Azo, I thought I would have to take off the spare tbh and stow it in the boot (which I didnt mind) so surprised to hear you can get the bike on the back with the spare there but handy to know :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

have you had a look at the nissan x-trail they have been around for quite a while now and you can get them for little money now, ive done 150k in mine now and still going strong, plus you can use the normal rack as the spare is stored in the boot floor