Montesa 242 clutch

colbb66

Hi,

this is my first post here. I currently have a Montesa 242 as the title says & I need to remove the clutch basket so I can modify the gear selector so it will keep the return spring on & stop iyt from slipping of & being stuck in gear.

Is there a special tool to compress the clutch or do I have to be inventive in my approach.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Col.

Assuming it is the same as other Montesa clutches, the whole basket comes off with the plates as one assembly together, so you only have to undo the nut and remove the basket. You only need to compress the clutch if you want to remove the plates from the basket, which is done after the basket is removed.

YOU CAN PULL COMPLETE CLUTCH UNIT OFF WITH A 3 LEGGED PULLER AFTER REMOVING CENTRE NUT . WATCH OUT FOR 2 X SHIMS WHICH MIGHT STICK TO UNDERSIDE OF CLUTCH ,REMOVE THEM + PUT STRAIGHT BACK ONTOP OF CLUTCH DRIVE GEAR . THE THREE LONG LOCATING PINS THAT FIT BETWEEN THE SHAFT + CLUTCH CENTRE WILL OFTEN PULL OUT AT SAME TIME + SLIGHTLY DAMAGE THE THREADS . WHEN REFITTING MAKE SURE THE CLUTCH DRIVE GEAR WITH FOUR PROTRUSIONS HAS THE 2X SHIMS ON TOP AND THE FOUR PROTRUSIONS FIT INSIDE THE CLUTCH BASKET . FIT LOCK WASHER + CENTRE NUT+ TIGHTEN , WITH A LONG SCREWDRIVER MAKE SURE THE FOUR PRONGED DRIVE GEAR UNDER BASKET HAS SMALL AMOUNT OF MOVEMENT BACK + FORTH ALONG THE SHAFT ( APPROX 1MM )THIS IS NECCESSARY FOR CLUTCH TO DISSENGAGE . DONT NOT FORGET TO FIT + BEND OVER THE LOCKING WASHER ON CENTRE NUT

Thanks guys.

I was under the impression I had to completely strip it down to get it of like a Jap clutch. I want it going for this weekends trial down by Gifford, East lothian. I wont be there unfortunatley as I work Saturdays but hoping to loan it to a mate.

Cheers

Col.