One for the Physics Geeks....

slapshot 3

Anti matter trapped for the first time

clicky if you trap it long enough....

"However, one of the great mysteries in physics is why our world is made up overwhelmingly of matter, rather than antimatter; the laws of physics make no distinction between the two and equal amounts should have been created at the Universe's birth."

Maybe anti-matter is also anti-social......

Jon

...Very,very anti-social.

Who cares?..sorry I was just researching the elusive 'doesn't fek*** matter' particle. :stoned:

From what I understand :dunce: there should be equal amounts of 'matter' and 'anti-matter' distributed evenly after the big bang :marky: ...so where is it :ph34r: ?

Donald have you got it all?

...Very,very anti-social.

From what I understand :dunce: there should be equal amounts of 'matter' and 'anti-matter' distributed evenly after the big bang :marky: ...so where is it :ph34r: ?

It's been put in that portable black hole........The Wife's Purse

Who cares?..sorry I was just researching the elusive 'doesn't fek*** matter' particle. :stoned:

Actually you do. You just don't know it. That you posted a reply on an HTML forum is testament to that. HTML was developed at CERN.

Cancer cure rates have increased dramatically over the last 30 years as a result of research performed at particle accelerators. The list goes on and on.

The rewards aren't immediate but are usually as a result of spin-offs from knowledge gained at particle accelerators. Who knows what benefits capturing anti-matter may hold for mankind?

Should be. Why not is one of the great unanswered questions of modern physics.

light Atom

Actually you do. You just don't know it. That you posted a reply on an HTML forum is testament to that. HTML was developed at CERN.

Cancer cure rates have increased dramatically over the last 30 years as a result of research performed at particle accelerators. The list goes on and on.

The rewards aren't immediate but are usually as a result of spin-offs from knowledge gained at particle accelerators. Who knows what benefits capturing anti-matter may hold for mankind?

Should be. Why not is one of the great unanswered questions of modern physics.

I think I may have overdone the humour with my elusive particle,I was just trying to cover for my geekeeness.

I have an interest in physics but I don't claim to understand it,especially Dr. Diracs theory and all that epsilon prime over epsilon stuff.

My kids are in secondary school now so I'm trying to brush up on the chemistry/physics basics.

These two fellas help enormously (links are at the top of this post,dunno why?)

Edited by HAM2

Don't sweat it Wayne. I've spent a goodly portion of my professional life working at institutions similar to CERN and get a bit defensive when people say "What's the point? We should be giving the money to the starving masses of Pakistan/Ethiopia/Bangladesh etc..".

Thanks for the links. I caught the tail end of the light one t'other night and cursed myself for it.

Edited by TooFastTim

Did any of you watch that new clip of Bou on the WTC chat by Sergio?

I think the lad must have a s--t load of anti-matter in his groins!

How does one launch a Mont off a two foot rock, rear wheel, accross a ten foot gap, uphill?

Possibly one of you geeks can perform the math?

Just goes to show that particle accelerators need only need minimal space and could be condensed to fit into your bathtub along with the bike, as Ham's initial attempt!

Pure science! :rolleyes:

ps- Ham may have a bit too much space matter in him. Bunch of gas!

Edited by copemech

Did any of you watch that new clip of Bou on the WTC chat by Sergio?

I think the lad must have a s--t load of anti-matter in his groins!

How does one launch a Mont off a two foot rock, rear wheel, accross a ten foot gap, uphill?

Nah. It's not anti-matter but anti-gravity!

.....which takes us to a whole different discussion and field of Physics. Wiki comes to rescue once again. :biggrinsanta:

Anti Gravity

Na, the antigravity is just in the springs, you might take the bigger, but it will not help you keep from smash any atoms in between!

Just how much does that bike weigh? Right now, It weighs naught, cause I am on top!

I feel lucky to clear a beer can, need a kicker! :rolleyes:

Purely for research purposes of course, I have experienced many instances of, if not anti-gravity, zero-gravity during that time my body followed the elliptic flight path relative to the center of the Earth that many refer to as "falling off a Trials motorcycle".

In terms of furthering the Physics store of knowledge, I doubt it has made a significant contribution.....

Jon