Rev 4 stopped

gazzaecowarrior

Hi there

In a trial today and was blasting up a graded hill climb when all power just faded. Bike stopped. Couldn't be kicked over. There appears to be a spark at the plug. Fuel is in the tank as I had just refilled for the 3rd lap. Managed to get the bike going but it would only idle on full throttle. It was enough for me to limp back to the van with me pushing it. What do people reckon this could be ? It's dark so i haven't had the chance to give it a once over yet. When it died on the hillclimb it was just like my stator failing on my Rev3 but i didn't think the rev4 had these problems. Would appreciate your advice. Carb or electrics ?

Is it an 07 or o8 bike? is the airbox clean when did you clean the carb last?

it's an 08. No I haven't cleaned the carb for a while. Perhaps that should be my first port of call. I would expect it to splutter with carb problems. It just died in seconds as if someone had turned the engine off. Airbox is cleaned every outing

Hi

Sounds like you could have water in the carb float bowl at full revs the bike will die as soon as it sucks up a gulp of water... :blink: (this has happend to a few of use while out riding and we soon got it sorted with a 17mm spanner.

I would crack the bottom float bowl nut off and you will probably see water in the nut.

What you explained does sound like the water problem.

Only other thing is are you still using the std beta kill switch ?

Cheers

Hi

Sounds like you could have water in the carb float bowl at full revs the bike will die as soon as it sucks up a gulp of water... :blink: (this has happend to a few of use while out riding and we soon got it sorted with a 17mm spanner.

I would crack the bottom float bowl nut off and you will probably see water in the nut.

What you explained does sound like the water problem.

Only other thing is are you still using the std beta kill switch ?

Cheers

Good advice everybody. I hope it is the carb as it is a cheap and easy fix. I have changed the killswitch for a yamaha one.