knack of starting a 200tlr

martin58

May or may not relate here, but I can tell you for fact that if I leave my little Yam Serow set for a week or more with the fuel valve on the tank in the on position, it will not start. It has an electric start, and you will just run down the battery trying. Much more tha I ever want to kick one.

Now if the fuel valve is shut off prior to putting the bike in the shed, letting the fuel bowl run down to nothing prior to killing the motor, it can sit for weeks. I turn on the tank valve, let the bowl fill, apply choke(no throttle) and it willbust right off in a few turns.

Explanation? The high aeromatics in the fuel vent off in the bowl, the remainder does not atomize well enough to light off.

To start it, one must pull the air filter and give a quick shot of carby cleanre spray into the open bore of the carb. Lights right off!

Note: Starting fluid (diethyl ether) not recommended!

Now I do realize these bikes are different(carbs), yet similar in many respects, and with the crap fuel we get today, may yet still apply to yours. :rolleyes:

There is a product available here in the US and maybe elsewhere that claims (yah, I know but it does seem to work better than the others... read up on it before you poo-poo it) to solve a lot of the issues of using E10 gas in small engines. It is an entirely new formula unlike anything else on the market.

First made for use in marine engines and now found everywhere including local bike shops.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron//content/view/14/37/lang,en/

I have had great luck with it. Add it to the tank of my Honda CH250 scooter and that, together with my $9 battery maintainer, lets me ride all year when it's safe to do so.

BTW: I have no connection to this company or this product. Had to say that : )

When I inherited this bike the fuel tank was badly rusted. I soaked the tank for two weeks in molasses but it still had some rust. I was advised on another forum to put an inline filter and start riding - which is what I did. I have replaced the filter 3 times in 4 months.

When I removed the carbie to today it was loaded with rust - I think it's a testament to Honda design that the bike was able to run at all. I removed and cleaned everything - she is running like new again. I guess this might be a regular pass time for the future. Unless I find a reasonable priced replacement tank.

Thanks for all your contribution