Week 199 - The Names You Remember First

Andy

rapley_header_media.png

I try not to make glaring errors in my columns, and whilst it’s always difficult to know when you’ve made them (because they are errors!) unless somebody tells me, I did realise when it was too late last week that whilst I always associated Brian Higgins with the Torridge Club from the days when I lived in the South West, in more recent years it has been the West Devon MC with which he has been associated and that’s the club which organised the British Championship motocross and enduro events to which I referred.

Glad to have put that straight – nobody reminded me, I just realised far too late that I had made a mistake.

Selecting a subject for the current columns frequently occupies many hours of thought as each day passes, but thinking about Higgins and the Torridge/West Devon clubs, got me round to thinking about the vast number of individuals associated with particular clubs.

Inevitably, picking one person out from each club is asking for hassle via a vast number of phone calls, e-mails, letters and angry remarks at trials from folks saying that every club is about a collection of individuals, all contributing in their own way.

Even so, I’ll risk it, for today I went to the Manchester 17 club’s Boxing Day Trial at Roman Lakes, which was probably the only trial in the north this Boxing Day to have taken place. Secretary Ken Roberts is the name regularly associated with Man 17 trials, along with many other regulars.

And ask any trials rider from more than 15 years ago about the British Experts and they’ll surely mention Graham Harrison who was always at the helm of that once prestigious trial – along with the Victory Trial.

Up in Yorkshire, Angela Sunter followed by Rhona Peacock are the “faces “ of Richmond; Margaret Myers has been the secretary of Wetherby for as long as I can remember whilst Margaret Whitlow has performed the same job at Rochdale for many years. Over at Ripon it is Keith and Judith Blythe who one first thinks of whilst at Yeadon and Guiseley Sue Smith handles the entries.

Up in Scotland for the Scottish, Jim McColm was the man to see if you wanted to know anything and whilst he has been succeeded by “Highland Lassie – Marie”, Jim is still around and about most years.

It may well be over 32 years since I left the West Country and moved north, but even now, two old hands still manage Devon Clubs. Colin Somers is the Otter Vale secretary, the club of which I was once treasurer – and he lives in Bournemouth which is a fair hike from the Honiton/Ottery St Mary area where the club operates and at the West of England club, Vic Ashford remains the name everybody recognises first – and Vic has been the club secretary for what seems like hundreds of years!.

But these folks are not alone, clubs around the country from north to south, east to west rely on somebody holding the organisation together. You will know your local club members to whom you would first speak should you want to know something about the club with which they are associated. And all those who put in so much work, organising events in whatever shape or form should be appreciated, and here and now is a good place to put that recognition into place.

It was rather forgetful of me last week to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, so as it’s Boxing Day evening as I write, let me confirm it now and also say that I wish you a successful and enjoyable year of trials in 2011, for when my next column appears the year 2010 will have ended and the year 2011 will have begun.

Ed: Not only will next week mark the start of a new year, but it will also be Mike's 200th column since joining Trials Central. Sadly, it will also be his final column as, after almost four year of making a very popular and valuable contribution to this website he has decided to retire and hang up his keyboard. Be sure to check back for what will undoubtedly be interesting parting words from our popular columnist.

How about Trials Central and Mike Rapley !

Bit of a bombshell that you're leaving. This column has always prompted the most interesting and relevant discussions. We'll miss your insight and inside knowledge of this quirky sport. Lets hope Andy can pursuade you to make an occasional contribution.

Is Dabster is going to take over from now? If a weekly article is aimed at creating interesting discussion I'm sure he'd generate lots of feedback.

Cheers for all you work over the past few years Mike. Enjoy your retirement and please do send in a report now and then even if its only relate to the big stories or events.

I'm obviously very disappointed in Mike's decision, but fully understand it. Aside from his four years here he previously had many years writing columns for TMX and it must be so hard to come up with something new and topical every week.

I have, of course, told Mike that any time he feels the need to put fingers to keyboard in the future his contributions will be more than welcome. I think the main problem will be him finding internet connection in the nursing home! ;)

I first bumped into Mike at the Wainwright in 1982 or 3? - I think he was on a 200 Mont, I was just enjoying being there on my 2oo Fantic. My pal Mark Kent and I got chatting to Roy Palmer's girlfriend as she was sunbathing at the side of a river, and she gave us all of his sandwiches. I wonder if he has forgiven us yet!

Mike's columns are always interesting, and very importantly they are written from a position of Ist hand knowledge.

Don't always agree with your opinions Mike, (I guess that is the point) but your contribution will be missed.

Being a poor writer, it seems a bit tough to me to express my feelings here.

Firstly, I feel a bit sad to see Mike go, although I would not have said that some four odd years ago. Being on the "other side" I mostly felt somewhat removed and distant from many of his articles.

His naming of people, places, and such, seemed distant. Yet at the same time, he has brought up topics and opinions that were valid in many respects.

Over time, even I have come to better relate to many of his names and places, which is a sore spot for me due to limited knowledge, so I have had to do a lookup for my own info to gain perspective. This has provided a challenge at times, and I am probably all the better for it! Yet I must say, his own recall of names and faces must be far better than mine, and his history in the sport has brought up amazing things in his recall! Far be it for my short mind!

All said, i fear I will miss Mike on a weekly basis, although I di realize that can be a tough schedule, I do hope an expect an occasional report from him and his outings and adventurees, and RIDING!

I think we might just still yet reserve a spot for your comments and experience!!! In the mean time, job well done!

Cheers Mike,

We love you man! XOXO!!!! :rolleyes:

Mike,

I've throughly enjoyed your columns through the years. For me, they have made a big contribution to both the knowledge and enjoyment of the sport I've come to love so much these last 40 years.

Thank you.

Jon

I have read all your 199 posts like a lot of people on here and they have always been a worthwhile read. You're wealth of knowledge and memories that you have shared with us will be greatly missed.

All the best with your future endeavours

Ian

200 in here and How many columns in TMX?? Often contentious, ALWAYS thought provoking it's always been an interest to read your articles. As trials Journos go yourself and Ralph Venables always cut to the nub of an issue and whether you like the personalities or not(maybe it was the generation(s) gap with Ralph), you had to respect what was written because it was written by another trials rider.

Editorial style articles are always different in that they are supposed to get under the veneer of the subject and you've always done that. You will be sadly missed Mike and thanks for making us look just beyond the sport.

Dear Michael,

What a lightweight you are!

Ralph (pronounce it as "Rafe") Venables, managed about 1000 columns before he called it a day, that included Motorcycle News and T&MX News. 200 columns and you are giving it up on here? You are winding me up again aren't you?

Get back to that keyboard and stop looking down the barrel of retirement, thats an order!

Ah well, no-one said i didn't try to make you see sense.

Enjoy your retirement, just because I did it (early retirement of course) that wasn't a cue for you to follow me.

Best wishes,

Big John

Ralph Venables always cut to the nub of an issue and whether you like the personalities or not(maybe it was the generation(s) gap with Ralph), you had to respect what was written because it was written by another trials rider.

Did Ralph ever ride? I'm not questioning his knowledge of the sport which was encyclopedic.