How Much!

chewy

I have been happily visiting this forum for some time and thought it about time I stuck my nose into a debate or two (and I feel uniquely qualified to comment on some of the points raised so far). To try and avoid comments in my first post appearing arrogant I thought it best to give a brief summary of my experience.

I was brought up in and around the Trials scene and spent most of my childhood plonked in the middle of a moor with a clipboard, but only competed in a handful of Trials as a teenager. After a long absence from the scene (nearly 25 years!) I find myself back trialing, trying to hold my own as an expert - although the legitimate call of the Vets class/over 40's is getting more appealing with each trial!

What have I been doing in my trialing "gap" years? Quite a bit of MX, an odd supercross, a lot of mountain biking, in fact ALOT of mountain biking. Since 1995 I have earnt my living from the Cycle Shop I set up, as well as from running Cycle holidays, writing technical articles for mtb magazines, etc. In the course of promoting my business i have personally competed at a high level both nationally and internationally in Downhill, as well as sponsoring British and World champions in Downhill and Cross-country disciplines.

observations on costs

BIke cost - off the peg comp ready, 2011 GasGas £4700, Giant DH £4700. As already mentioned exchange rates have forced noticeable price increases in recent years

Parts - bars, brake pads, bearings all similar price. tyres for dh are about half the price of an X11, but you will go through them about 3 times as fast!

Clothing - grunge or flash costs the same in both sports

licensing - trials= ACU £10 plus clubs £10, Cycling = British Cycling Race licence £32 (no club memberships required)

Events - trials=£15 entry+£2.50 petrol+£10 diesel (max), Downhill £50 entry+£70 diesel+ £50 camping/bed&breakfast/food etc

What does this actually give you for your weekends sport?

Trials - set off Sunday 9.00am after breakfast with the family, arrive and sign on for 10.00am, riding by 10.30 finish about 3.00pm, home for 4.00pm, wash bike and sit down with family for roast dinner @ 6.00pm. Best part of 4.5 hrs riding for £27.50

Downhill - Set off Friday after work (or silly O clock Saturday morning) drive for 3 -7 hrs, sign on by 9.30am practice up untill 4.00pm (hopefully getting 6 runs on a 4 minute course)retire to bed&breakfast/campsite. Sunday get 2 practice runs before racing starts then 2 race runs at allotted times, event finishes 4.00pm (collect trophy!) drive for 3-7hrs,unload kit for washing Monday, eat dinner after the "ping"somewhere around midnight. Best part of 40 mins riding over 2 days for £170

Is Trials cheap or Downhill mountain biking overpriced? I think a bit of both and for someone that earns his living from the mountain-bike market I am a little concerned at the current cost of competing. but with events oversubscribed, promoters are reluctant to listen to criticism - very similar in fact to the mutterings in the Hare and Hounds events where entry costs have rocketed but promoters don't seem bothered while the entries are still rolling in?

Yes folks, for COMPETITION events Trials wins on cost and time on the bike compared to Enduro, MX or Downhill MTB racing.....but for World Round spectating, areas to ride, none competitive events, training, grab the bike and go rides, time in the saddle with minimum cost, "good times" with friends and family and all round convenience - mountainbiking wins hands down!!!

Edited by mountainbiker

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on the Quality of Trial you want to ride this will depend on what budget you will need,willing to spend for the year.

You could get the train to Euroland and take part in 12 very good trials over the course of a year and wave goodbye to 10k,or stay at home and do 12 local trials a year which will cost you well under

It all depends on the Quality of Trial you want to ride this will depend on what budget you will need,willing to spend for the year.

You could get the train to Euroland and take part in 12 very good trials over the course of a year and wave goodbye to 10k,or stay at home and do 12 local trials a year which will cost you well under

Yes folks, for COMPETITION events Trials wins on cost and time on the bike compared to Enduro, MX or Downhill MTB racing.....but for World Round spectating, areas to ride, none competitive events, training, grab the bike and go rides, time in the saddle with minimum cost, "good times" with friends and family and all round convenience - mountainbiking wins hands down!!!

I also enjoy MTB's but think without the Forestry Commission / Park access, (denied to motorised sports, generally) mountain biking might not "win hands down!!!"