Devils Staircase !

cabby

Just as a matter of interest, has anyone ridden up the Devils Staircase from the road side ?

It used to be on the route of the trial but is not for "public" use be it trials bike or KTM. Mountain bike only I'm afraid.

I presume you mean the Devils Staircase near Lochailort (there is more than one DS)- yes I rode it as a section in the 1977 SSDT, possibly one of the last times it was used in the trial.

Careful - as it forms part of an SSSI nowadays!

Yes Perce I think you did ride down it in 2006.

Big John

The Scottish Six Days route never referred to the Altnafeadh area as Devils Staircase, only "Altnafeadh". The Lochailort one was always known as the official trial "DS", and yes rode up that in 1977 too. But as 2/4 says, definately out of bounds to motorised bikes nowadays, section is lost to the SSDT as well because of the creation of the West Highland Way.

Big John

The Scottish Six Days route never referred to the Altnafeadh area as Devils Staircase, only "Altnafeadh". The Lochailort one was always known as the official trial "DS", and yes rode up that in 1977 too. But as 2/4 says, definately out of bounds to motorised bikes nowadays, section is lost to the SSDT as well because of the creation of the West Highland Way.

Big John

Correct - it's known as the Devil's Staircase in the mountain bike world (and may even be signposted as such on the posts I have seen above Kinlochleven).

Correct - it's known as the Devil's Staircase in the mountain bike world (and may even be signposted as such on the posts I have seen above Kinlochleven).

Up on the Penstock Road heading towards Blackwater the is a wee sign that points to Glencoe via the Devils Staircase, on a tiny wee footpath, it may even mention Mhartuim as well.

Year before the old man had his stroke we went looking for THE Devils Staircase but couldn't get to it. I do remember walking up it many moons ago, mid 70s I suspect.

Year before the old man had his stroke we went looking for THE Devils Staircase but couldn't get to it. I do remember walking up it many moons ago, mid 70s I suspect.

You should have been on the "Moidart Run" last year, THE Staircase was a stopping off point with participants hiking up to pay respects. It's a good deal further from the road than I had remembered.