world round fortwilliam

yamxj

hi chaps i am going up to watch the fortwilliam trial in july i was just wondering if anyone went last year could tell me what the access to the sections was like could you get good view etc . thanks

Edited by yamxj

The man made sections at the hub of the event seemed to draw massive crowds (understandably) and if you time it wrong then you'll be lucky to see anything. For obvious reasons these (and the rest of the sections) are packed out when the top riders come through so if seeing your hero is of utmost importance then get there early.

The lower natural sections are a bit of a squeeze unless you get there sharpish and 'camp out' at the best spots until the action starts? Some people seem to enjoy sitting in the same spot for hours and hours but I prefer to see each and every section from as many angles as possible. Each to their own eh? The stream that these sections follow has trees either side which also hinders the spectating but if you're a bit adventurous you can normally squeeze in somewhere. Try not to stand behind something that can be climbed on as you can guarantee someone will climb on it and block your view just as the top riders start coming through! It's a bit of a free for all jostling for the best position but I never witnessed and fights breaking out! If you're immune to midges then there are some parts you'll have all to yourself.

The top sections (gondola trip unless you like hiking) are all pretty much wide open following the gully with good view points for the best parts. If you don't mind not being right next to the action a pair of bino's are a good way to bring you in close without chewing on the hood of the person who just stood up in front of you.

Personally, I didn't find the spectating (natural terrain) to be that much different from the SSDT in regards to crowds. For what reason I don't know but I'd kind of expected more people to be there? As it turned out I think the numbers were about right for spectating to be achievable for most folk? I'm quite sure the organisers would have liked more people to have been there but I think a few trees down the bottom might have been uprooted by anxious punters if that had been the case?

Go, enjoy yourself, let the pro's take the pictures and videos and have a dram for me as I'm missing it this year!

Cheers,

GJ :wacko: