Running in / Breaking in a new bike

sdeane01

Searched the forums so sorry if this has been covered, cant find it. Found an interesting article about running in a new engine, it is a long read but interesting. Curious as to what is the best way, how do the top guys do it?

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I know the article does not mention trials engines but it makes you think

Yes I read the same but I've since been informed that thats only good for 4T engines.

Apparently Honda have a breaking-in process that goes over a week which was preformed on my bike by the previous owner (from new)... All I can say is it been a good engine to me. It's a 2006 engine that's had lots of use and the gear case has not been opened to date.

I don't have the details of this but if you find it please let us know here. :thumbup:

All the best.

Neo

If a discussion on sparkplugs can reach 3 pages with all the engineers crawling out the woodwork, imagine the potential this thread has! :hyper:

I have always broken in my engines in a similar way to what is suggested in the article, and my bikes have always been good performers be they road, enduro, or trial. Of course I can't say they would have been any worse had I nursed them till worn in, which seems to be the common method. I don't see why the method would work on 4 strokes and not 2 strokes. Bedding in rings is bedding in rings, the principal should remain the same. I also like to "feel" my engines when running them in if that makes any sense.

Seems to me there is a fair amount of science behind all this, rather complex, but long story short, getting things to seat in properly can be the best solution and in the "Run'm hard" theory these things happen.

"Hard" running in itself is more an indication of high engine loads, not RPM. So in the case of a trials bike as example, I might opt for some trails and wood where I was able to put on a good load in gear 4 or 5 on a dirt road at high throttle loads, varying it through the rpm range, then tuck into the wood trails and get on it a bit. Varing throttle and high loads pulling the gears.

If anything, I do not use more oil than normal on a 2T, as this defeats the principals of high load and friction doing the job. Just let it run in under loads without revving the p*** out it! :rolleyes:

All most happens in the first tank o'fuel!

Edited by copemech