1996 Gas Gas JTR 270 questions

jonabonospen

Just bought a 1996 JTR 270 and have some questions to ask. The seller advertised it as a TXT 270 but when I look at the paperwork he has for it there is a letter from Gas Gas saying that the frame number indicates it is a JTR 270. What is the difference between the JTR and TXT models and how will I know for sure which one the bike is (I assume it is a JTR model as Gas Gas have said that it is)?

I have had the bike running and it has a couple of issue that need fixing but I cant seem to find anywhere that lists parts, nor do I know how to fix one of the problems:

1) The exhaust manifold to engine connection has a leaking gasket and you can see the current gasket looking like it is bubbling, like it was more like mastic in there rather than a proper gasket. Cant seem to find anywhere though where an exhaust gasket is listed as a spare part for sale. Anyone able to give me some advice on the problem and point me in the right direction for a replacement part?

2) There is water coming out of the radiator overflow pipe and then evaporating off on the warm engine. Not just the odd drip but a slow steady flow, and the fan isn't coming on (I turned the engine off though after a while once I saw the water kept coming out of the overflow). My uneducated guess would be that the fan is not engaging when it should be, and then the water not cooling and it is boiling over and escaping out the overflow. Any thoughts / suggestions?

3) Had the biking ticking over alright once warmed up, but then after a few minutes it would just die and cut out. Could this be connected to the above? Does the bike have a cutoff of some sort if it is just getting too hot?

Here is a picture of the bike:

IMG00334-20110220-1556.jpg

Edited by Jonabonospen

Oh dear ,i hope you didnt pay too much for this bike.

first off you should be able to identify bike by engine and frame nos.

Phone Gas Gas Uk and they will be able to supply all the parts you need and tell you what bike you have.(JTX on the tank is a bit of a clue)

Sounds like you are over heating and possibly seizing up which is why it stops after warming up,( it could be fuel blockage) I would check that pump is working first,Take the cap off when it is cold and start it, you should see the water pumping around.

Check the fan by bypassing the thermostat and starting the bike.

Hopefully the fan will spin and you can replace the thermostat,(About

Oh dear ,i hope you didnt pay too much for this bike.

first off you should be able to identify bike by engine and frame nos.

Phone Gas Gas Uk and they will be able to supply all the parts you need and tell you what bike you have.(JTX on the tank is a bit of a clue)

Sounds like you are over heating and possibly seizing up which is why it stops after warming up,( it could be fuel blockage) I would check that pump is working first,Take the cap off when it is cold and start it, you should see the water pumping around.

Check the fan by bypassing the thermostat and starting the bike.

Hopefully the fan will spin and you can replace the thermostat,(About

• 2 weeks later...

I've just joined your site today. Lots of useful information here for a new trials bike owner.

I've just gotten a 1996 JTR 270 and unless the previous owners are responsible, I guess the US version has different graphics. I've only ridden it in the woods in my back yard but it has tons of power and starts on the 3rd kick. The first time I started it, I snapped off the starter lever end :wall:.

Not sure how to attach a picture yet but I will figure it out.

Bob