changing water pump seals beta 80 08

mickmc

hi got to change the water pump seals in the beta 80, think there's water in the oil, it boiled up at a trial on sunday, and the stuff that came out of the overflow was milky white colour, so thinking the seals are gone

has anyone changed these , are they hard to do :(

any advise appreciated

Mick

Easy to do, just drain the coolant via the drain screw on the water pump housing. Remove the housing (you may need to get a new gasket but I did re-use mine), remove the circlip that holds on the impeller, remove the old water seal (small terminal screwdriver), check the drive shaft for wear, it should be ok, fit the new seal with the wire spring side of the seal facing out. I used a socket of the same size or slightly smaller to press the seal into position.

If the water boiled you should check that the thermostat is working and that the fan will run!!

Also if the clutch/gearbox oil is not milky then the water pump seal may be ok and you need to look at fan and thermostat first.

We use silkolene Pro-cool for coolant.

Hope this helps

John

Edited by JFC
  • Like 1