Foreseeing the battle 2012

neo

I have that feeling (but no real evidence) that Ossa and Sherco are going to go head to head later this year.

• In the Green corner we have the new challenger... with a super lightweight, radical design and Fuel injection but maybe they've had a couple finishing issues in 2011 ... not surprising in their first year.
  • In the Blue corner we have the reigning champion... with a revamped pedigree engine (that could even have Direct Fuel Injection by then) and a proven all round build quality ... not surprising in their 13th year either :lol:

Just wanted your thoughts and comments on this ... and feel free to add any bit of information or gossip you got from credible sources such the local farmer after 15 pints of cyder :lol:

Best of balance.

Neo

You forgot Gasser. You can't leave them out.

Direct injection? Apparently, according to two mates, with with PhD's in IC motors, DI is problematic with petrol engines. Do Orbital use DI? What about Rotax, Mercury and others? I think that indirect injection is here to stay and Sherco and Gasser will adopt it soon. Let Ossa work out the bugs.

Prediction: Bou, Fuji or Raga, Cabastany or Fuji, Fejardo or Dibs maybe Alexz.

Neo I'll give you call tomorrow eve.

Gasser....Hmmm ... I didn't forget them I seriously think they won't be a contender by 2013 .... Honestly I hope I'm wrong but haven't seen much change there since they introduced their new (now old) frame some time back....they should have made that 4T happen!!

Just waiting for someone to say that I've forgotten the Evo now :lol:

Best of balance.

Neo

Gasser....Hmmm ... I didn't forget them I seriously think they won't be a contender by 2013 .... Honestly I hope I'm wrong but haven't seen much change there since they introduced their new (now old) frame some time back....they should have made that 4T happen!!

Another new frame for this year Claudio. As well as a new airbox (I hope this one doesn't leak). Motor? What can you say? It's still the gold standard. Smallest, lightest..

Gas Gas Vs Ossa more like.

Much as I think the new Sherco is a good looking, well made and reliable bike, it would appear

that it isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to handling or traction.

Much as I think the new Sherco is a good looking, well made and reliable bike, it would appear

that it isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to handling or traction.

Traction is all in your right wrist

Traction is all in your right wrist

GG has a new rear suspension on the new Raga bike this year - should be interesting to see what they went too. (I dont believe its just a change to a Reiger shock - supposedly a new "patented" design will be employed.)

Just waiting for someone to say that I've forgotten the Evo now :lol:

Best of balance.

Neo

Hey - you have forgotten the Evo ! :rotfl:

Another new frame for this year
GG has a new rear suspension on the new Raga bike this year - should be interesting to see what they went too. (I dont believe its just a change to a Reiger shock - supposedly a new "patented" design will be employed.)

These are interesting .... I'll wait and watch with interest :popcorn:

Best of balance.

Neo

Direct injection is problematic with petrol engines. Do Orbital use DI? What about Rotax, Mercury and others? I think that indirect injection is here to stay and Sherco and Gasser will adopt it soon. Let Ossa work out the bugs.

Hey Tim and all this is what I found on Wiki today...

The benefits of direct injection are even more pronounced in two-stroke engines, because it eliminates much of the pollution they cause. In conventional two-strokes, the exhaust and intake ports are both open at the same time, at the bottom of the piston stroke. A large portion of the fuel/air mixture entering the cylinder from the crankcase through the intake ports goes directly out, unburned, through the exhaust port. With direct injection, only air comes from the crankcase, and fuel is not injected until the piston rises and all ports are closed.

Two types of GDi are used in two-strokes: low-pressure air-assisted, and high-pressure. The former, developed by Orbital Engine Corporation of Australia (now Orbital Corporation) injects a mixture of fuel and compressed air into the combustion chamber. When the air expands it atomizes the fuel. The Orbital system is used in motor scooters manufactured by Aprilia, Piaggio, Peugeot and Kymco, in outboard motors manufactured by Mercury and Tohatsu, and in personal watercraft manufactured by Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP).

And as scooters have some association with Trials bikes this information looks significant to me. The full write-up can be found here under "In two-stroke engines" on Wiki.

What's your thoughts on this gents?

Best of balance.

Neo