4rt Noise Shock!

munch

Saturday, we had three 4rt's & two 2-strokes out at our ORV area.

Two 4rt's with all restrictors in and one with only the center restrictor out (mine). We are also required to have spark arresters. We had stainless steel screens molded over the end restrictor and held with an hose clamp. Pretty sano at least until an after market is available.

Anyway the 4rt's sounded like Stock XR's out on the trail. Not bad at all in this heavy forested area.

This was my only concern about my new bike. The first few 4rt's that came in had the head pipe and center restrictors pulled out by the owners. They were noticably louder than just pulling the center restrictor or running all in. The guys actually put the head pipe restrictor back in for sound and also smoothed the power out.

I pulled the center one out to give the motor a little more snap. Might be our imagination but the screens also seemed to quiet the exhaust note more than the non-screen.

I have had no comments to make about the new 4RT because up until last week I had never seen or ridden one! The one I got to ride last weekend had all the restrictors in. Very cool bike! Mega grip off the bottom. I was a little hesitant when hitting anything big, mostly because the accerlation was very different! I agree with Dabster that the suspension was brilliant! I only had a short ride, but would have enjoyed to spend a full day on it to see what it could do!

Now, today met up with two more guys in my backyard riding area who had all the restrictors OUT! Man, what a nasty sound comig from these things when the throttle was cracked! I could hear them above all the other bikes combined! (There were about 12 of us all together). For me, and for where we were riding, it bordered on offensive! I'm not bashing the 4RT's, but surely they can be produced as a stock bike that a good expert can feel confident on without having to modify the exhaust so much that the sound is that loud! I enjoyed my ride on it and found it quite decent, but would be concerned about the noise.

I am very, very anxious to try the Sherco 4RT now after having a bit of a taste with the Mont!

Cheers, Steve

Steve,

Your right without any restrictors they border on obnoxious. When the guys first got their 4rt's in Oregon, they took them all out.

They then put them back in. It was much better.

I am not sure why any club rider would want to run with them all removed.

At our last local trial, Dennis Sweeten ran his 4rt with I believe all but the center one installed. He even had a Mint spark arrester on. He rode many of the same past National Champ lines with no problem at all.

It's funny we don't really set sections up for Dennis, he is in a league of his own at are club level, so we let him pick his lines. He chooses lines harder than I would have set up for him.

Jack

I'm not bashing the 4RT's, but  surely they can be produced as a stock bike that a good expert can feel confident on without having to modify the exhaust so much that the sound is that loud!

I think they actually did just that...only some folks alway feel they know better than the factory and modify too much. Do they really need the restrictors out for their riding level? I doubt it...and just how much difference in power do they really make? I bet all restrictors in place vs none is no more than 2-4 hp at best.

A few of us in Ontario have our new 4rt's and they are simply amazing. I suggest that they develope "weed wacker attachments" for all remaining 2 strokes for future use, which would deem them somewhat usefull.

Anyway, on a more serious note we are running them with all restrictors in and plan on changing the rear sprocket to a 43.

:wacko: