Wheel ReBuild

neo

Hi All,

I have to rebuild the front wheel (new spokes and nipples). Sherco used to do two lengths of spokes "Left 259mm" and "Right 256mm" but now they get away with supplying just the 259mm for Left and Right.

Chris has has given me a process for measuring the hub offset but does anyone know what that offset measurement should be (in mm)?

Hmmm...I'm wondering now if I should just lace up the rim then fit it in the forks and just line the rim up to the bike (folks)? <_<

Best of balance.

Neo

Edited by Neo

Hi All,

I have to rebuild the front wheel (new spokes and nipples). Sherco used to do two lengths of spokes "Left 259mm" and "Right 256mm" but now they get away with supplying just the 259mm for Left and Right.

Chris has has given me a process for measuring the hub offset but does anyone know what that offset measurement should be (in mm)?

Hmmm...I'm wondering now if I should just lace up the rim then fit it in the forks and just line the rim up to the bike (folks)? <_<

Best of balance.

Neo

Sound as though you may have to do just that!

Think it will come to tire vs the fork brace before it is over! :rolleyes:

No, no rush chewy,

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to buy a new rim (with new spokes) or just use the old (with new spokes). So what with shipping and all I can see this rolling on for a week or too :rolleyes:

Leaves me without a riding partner :( as he refuses to ride unless he has a bike of his own ... that's kids for you I suppose :wacko:

Best of balance.

Neo

Yes its all about build quality eh? I dont think it rains where they are made. I have bought loads of new bikes in last 15 years (me and Janet my partner ride a lot) and this bike ..(to be fair)is second only to the Mont 4rt's for not shaking itself to pieces but it has been 6 months of toil to get it to ride reasonably ( I'ive only been doing it for 45 years so I clearly have little ideal of what is required of a bike) elementary things such as carburation ignition timing tyres staying on rim and of course handling/steering... think I have now resolved all these issues with my limited experience and resouces. My excuse for letting it go rusty where bare metal is exposed on the frame is that I havn't had the time (or the love of it) to deal with this relatively minor issue.

Yes its all about build quality eh? I dont think it rains where they are made. I have bought loads of new bikes in last 15 years (me and Janet my partner ride a lot) and this bike ..(to be fair)is second only to the Mont 4rt's for not shaking itself to pieces but it has been 6 months of toil to get it to ride reasonably ( I'ive only been doing it for 45 years so I clearly have little ideal of what is required of a bike) elementary things such as carburation ignition timing tyres staying on rim and of course handling/steering... think I have now resolved all these issues with my limited experience and resouces. My excuse for letting it go rusty where bare metal is exposed on the frame is that I havn't had the time (or the love of it) to deal with this relatively minor issue.

Hmmm... you don't sound too impress with the 2011 ... that's a shame.

But I have to tell you whats VERY impressive to me is the fact that you ride with your wife. I would pay BIG $ if someone could talk my wife into riding. So if you and your wife are ever passing this way ..... :lol:

Best of balance and thanks again for your help.

Neo

He,He, Chewy loves massaging the bike, not unlike a lot of the other stuff we have done over the years!

Looked a bit to me like his rusty spot in where the stamp the numbers in. I must admit the fact I hate white in a trials bike. Seems there are too many shades to even get a good rattle can fix at times! Add the fact there is nothing that stays white anyway! The chrome frames were good, yet far from perfect. Now good old BLACK one can deal with!

Wonder the update on Chewy's rear rim?

Neo, you might well be advised to trim them 3mm long spokes prior to install, or you might wind up having to grind them down after.

Good idea Cope :thumbup:

Double check the clearance prior to disassembly. :rolleyes:

Too late :lol:

Best of balance.

Neo

He,He, Chewy loves massaging the bike, not unlike a lot of the other stuff we have done over the years!

Looked a bit to me like his rusty spot in where the stamp the numbers in. I must admit the fact I hate white in a trials bike. Seems there are too many shades to even get a good rattle can fix at times! Add the fact there is nothing that stays white anyway! The chrome frames were good, yet far from perfect. Now good old BLACK one can deal with!

Wonder the update on Chewy's rear rim?

you're right about the massaging bit, and just to wind Neo up a bit more so does Janet (ambiguous eh?); I'm really proud of her she has been on more ruddy podiums than me in the last ten years, she never whinges, never gives up and always smiles. best bit is that our holidays are all trials based (we're entered for 4 multi day internationals this summer in Europe).... she got a bit of a "shoulder" on when we said she couldn't come to Corsica for a weeks riding in the mountains...wemen!!!. I've bought an helmet cam to bring back the riding for her . Rear wheel finally sorted, I have to say that once it got to Martin at MRS (the UK importer) it was replaced PDQ and that problem is now in the past, notwithstanding the rusty frame I think I finally, having tweaked the steering, carburation, timing et al.. have the bike to where I can ride to best of my decrepid ability.

you're right about the massaging bit, and just to wind Neo up a bit more so does Janet (ambiguous eh?); I'm really proud of her she has been on more ruddy podiums than me in the last ten years, she never whinges, never gives up and always smiles. best bit is that our holidays are all trials based (we're entered for 4 multi day internationals this summer in Europe).... she got a bit of a "shoulder" on when we said she couldn't come to Corsica for a weeks riding in the mountains...wemen!!!. I've bought an helmet cam to bring back the riding for her . Rear wheel finally sorted, I have to say that once it got to Martin at MRS (the UK importer) it was replaced PDQ and that problem is now in the past, notwithstanding the rusty frame I think I finally, having tweaked the steering, carburation, timing et al.. have the bike to where I can ride to best of my decrepid ability.

Oh crap, doo tell about your settings on the jetting, timing there that you have found comfort with. May be helpful to others!

Did you try the Boyesens?