footpeg angle

searay175

I replaced the footpegs/ footrests on my GasGas with inexpensive chinese aftermarket steel pegs. They are actually for a Suzuki enduro but I was able rework them to fit.

My concern is at what angle lets say to the level ground is ideal?

The stock gasgas pegs actually slope down to the rear with the rider on board and level when sitting upright. These sit near level with the weight of the rider and sag of the suspension.

Cant resist this one ..as a manufacturer. For me after 20 years of R & D we try to arrive at 5 degrees fwd. slope unloaded. Biggest hassle for aftermarket manufacturers such as me is that the OEM.s are not particularly good at being consistent with where and what angle they put the mounting brackets. also the various OEM.S tend to mess with these variables year on year (i think probably to suit incumbrent footrest suppliers product). We (Mrs & I ) had same model bikes last year with consecutive frame numbers yet the footrests were 8 deg. different in the plane we are talking about here. Most riders will notice more than 8 deg fwd inclination but not backward so those of us who "strive" for fwd. inclination because of the ergonomic advantages risk more customer "complaints" because of this and the varaibility of OEM product. I point these factors out as your survey result will be subjective to what individuals experiences are. There is currently a movement towards fwd inclination by no doubt it will be attributed to a "name" in the interests of marketing at the end of the day it's up to the individual to arrive at what suits both his bike, his pocket and his taste.

• Thanks 1

Before I retro fitted the new pegs /rests I placed a straightedge flat on the original pegs and marked a line on the clutch cover for reference. and after fitting the new ones the straitedge line was about 1/2 to 3/4" lower that the original. That concerned me but with me on the bike they are on a level plane with the ground so I feel thats o.k. i have yet to try it at a trials so time will tell.

Never really thought about this one i just assumed you fitted the brackets so the face of the footrest was level with the ground? Why would you want them tilted forward or backward anyway? Whats the advantage? Just asking :popcorn:

In an ideal world flat would be preferableand logical; as I outlined above though most riders are more sensitive to back angle rather than fwd. angle,just about all OEM's seem to have a wide tolerance on the bracket /mounting angle. There is some merit or preference (particularly for "trick" riders) to have some fwd. angle as it provides better purchase for catching the rebound of the back suspension when hopping the back,if you relate to the old saying that riding is like walking...try the difference between hopping (even balancing) from standing with you toes in the air compared to doing it with your heels in the air..toes down is a natural stance we take ready for action.Most of our body weight is communicating with the bike via our legs and feet so a good connection or interface is not only critical to good performance but also (as usual with trials folk) highly subjective. As I was past my best before date 35 years ago I take feedback from the young uns (anyone under 50!). One thing for sure hence my "brand name" footrests are at least as important a control element as any other part of the bike we touch when riding. As you've probably gathered I'll waffle on about this subject for ever. All best CW

• Thanks 1

Another factor may be that in general the hard bits of a section are the uphill ones and a tilt forward starts the process of correct body positioning. I only add that as I qualify as a "young un" but only just.

• Thanks 1