Tlr 250 Engines

slapshot 3

Need some advice boys,

Stripped the engine down in my tlr last week and then spent a couple of hours crying. Main engine seals, valves, piston, you name it, it's knackered, I'm not chuffed.

Main thing it needs is the piston replaced and a rebore. Someone has said in the past that the barrel can't be rebored or honed to take out imperfections, is this true? the barrel is not too bad to my eye, Ive seen a lot worse. The piston had worn itself to about 10thou too small so it's been slapping around all over the place, half inclined to say it were too small in the first place!!! Big end okay, main bearings in good nick as well

So:

Can the barrel be bored or honed?

What oversize pistons do Honda do for the TLR ?

Is Appleyards the only place to get the bits and pieces?

At the moment the plan is to get hold of a new piston to match the bore of the barrel, will this cause any other problems.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

donald

Donald

There are 3 sources of parts to approach - Gordon Farley's, Appleyards & Dave Silver Spares.

You can find out from some of the online dealers in the states whether Honda parts are classed as obsolete from their part numbers, this can also be done by visiting your Local Honda dealer (probably McGowans in Aberdeen)

I vaguely remember seeing something about another Honda piston which will fit as an oversize piston - possibly from an industrial engine (I have no recolection where I saw or heard of this)

Let me know via Email the parts you require & I can give you the part numbers off the microfiche.

The bike i recently rbuilt had a slightly worn bore but I went down the route of re-using the piston (which did not appear too worn) with new rings & a light hone of the bore. Seems to have worked with the bike not showing any tendancy to burn oil.

Gordon

Edited by g4321